Will this work for a layout boat?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Rangerbob, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

I am planning on purchasing a Pelican 10E mini bass boat to be used primarily for fishing. But was wondering if it could double as a passable layout style boat. If any one has done this I would appreciate any input and pics you may have.

Thanks, Steve

2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

The idea of a layout boat is that it blends in with the water in color and shape.Thats why traditional layout boats are shaped like a smooth, graceful grey hump in the water. A rectangular, clunky Pelican 10E doesn't come close to the layout design and color.
    However...with THAT said. I used as a layout, my green 16' jonboat ( clunky, yet pretty to MY eye, ha.) just this season to shoot some Canadas successfully. I anchored in the path of roosting birds about half mile away at sunrise. Should have been there in the dark but took a wrong turn using a new ramp. Threw some decoys. The birds were getting nervous so I slowed my movements as much as I could and stayed low. Covered the boat in camo cloth, clamping it to the gunnels so the wind wouldn't blow it off. Layed down in a spray painted beach lounger ( click, click , click type) in the bow area and pulled camo cloth up to my chin. Boat can fit two of these side by side. Birds got noisy, chattered more and more as they normally do, birds finally flew but to the side of me, and out of range dag nabbit. Last two flocks came closer, downed birds. Lots of fun. I bet if I set up quietly in the dark they might have all flown closer. Also flying to that side of the water might just be their flight pattern ( I was in the middle). I plan to do this a few times next season, not over do it.
    Conclusion: Me thinks a traditional layout would work the best, but a substitute will work but the birds might get used to traditional camo covered boats as danger where a grey lump on the water wouldn't raise such suspicion. A boat as small as the Pelican can also be draped in a medium to light grey cloth..
    You got the boat? You got the idea? Try it. When something new works, it is just that much more fun. And if it didn't it was worth the try. :tu

3. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Yea, would depend upon what you mean by layout boat, that thing looks to be 20"-24" tall, so it's not what's described above, so if you're thinking divers on open water, well, do it, you'll probably sink it before you need to worry about ducks coming anyways...
    I've been out in an 1860 in open water for divers with success, it'd work even in that style of hunting, but pay close attention to weather and waves.

Anyways, hopefully, what you were thinking is more along the lines of driving it into some cattails and hunting out of it, which it should do well in.

I've never been in one, but the one I'm looking at here is OD green on the bottom, Tan on the top, a grass matt or two and she's gone. You could do what I've done for my layout, take bungee cord, length you need so you can run it from front to back of boat, tie raffia grass onto it. Make two of those, put bungee cord hooks on the ends of them, you can now run one down each side of the boat and you're just another clump of weeds.

I actually hook mine onto the top of my outboard, then run them and attach them to the front of my boat, I drive straight into the weeds where I want to hunt, meaning I shoot over my outboard, my outboard is naturally a high point on the boat, so I end up being more hidden because I'm now obstructed by the outboard, it also elevates the raffia bungees so I can be completely covered in comfort if need be. Since I hook the bungees on the outboard, the outboard is easily covered by the raffia as well. It's also nice because when I shoot a duck I simply unhook the bungees from the outboard, put those ends next to me by the transom, start the motor, back out, get the duck, drive back into the spot, hook the bungees onto the motor and you're perfect again.

It's nice, and it's a nice way to hunt if you have a small boat to do it with, makes life easier. I sit in a predator lounger though, I don't lay down, predator loungers (turkey lounger same thing) are fantastically comfortable, they sit on the ground/floor so you're not way up in the air, and again, since I attach my raffia bungees to the top of my outboard, they run right over the top of the chair too, meaning I'm covered. Comfortable as all get out, still low profile and hidden. Save laying completely down for when you're in sparse rice

4. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

I guess I should have been more specific and stated marsh type layout.

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Yes, you could use it as a marsh layout, but it would be far from ideal. It would take a great deal of grassing, and it will have a high profile, but you could probably kill some ducks out of it.
    Getting it out into a bulrush marsh might be the most frustrating part of trying to use that device for that purpose.

6. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Not like a layout in the traditional sense, but brushed up well it could easily be made to look like a little grassy hump. I've seen a guy using one on a wma before and it worked quite well; well enough I've almost bought one to use myself. If using in a marsh or such and not pure open water I think it'd work great, and they're pretty cheap.

7. FowlRaider

FowlRaider New Member

I plan on doing the same thing, I picked this little boat up for fishing and had the idea to just lay in it, It got enough room for me and my dog and his blind, ill set him up next to me in the invisilab, and lay in this, this is where I am with it so far... still have to grass it and add some other grassing points to it.

Attached Files: