Willow trees in pool

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Cedarlakeforge, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Cedarlakeforge

Cedarlakeforge Refuge Member

I bought some ground late last year to duck hunt. There is a 7 acre pool that has grown up about half in willows. I took out about an acre of the willows this past summer with my skid loader. Didn’t have time to get all of em and planning on taking the rest out next summer when it dries. I want to get all the roots out and disc and pack to get a solid bottom. I pumped it up from the well last week , not holding water real well. I know it’s probly several things but my question is , has any one dealt with willows in their pool ? And how do they affect water seaping out. The levy doesn’t have any willows on or close to it. Looking for some thoughts on how much water is lost through the roots ? It is bottom land missouri.

2. Drake11

Drake11 Senior Refuge Member

My first thought is you aren't losing water to the root systems but instead you indicate that you are in the river bottoms and that means you'll be forever susceptible to river stage/water table. Have you taken notice on high river years you have more water and dry years, less? Water loss through a root system will be minimal and possibly unnoticeable.

U

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  3. Cedarlakeforge

We are really dry. The river close to me is about 1/4 mile away and is very low right now. I wondered about that also. We are supposed to get pretty good amount of rain tonight. Am crossing my fingers. This is the first time I have ever put water in this pool , you know how it goes , live and learn.

4. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

You had better rethink using a skid loader and then discing the stumps. Discing will be very much akin to planting them. You had better figure a hot herbicide and spray them dead. Those dam things will be there forever if you don’t kill’em.

5. Cedarlakeforge

Someone told me if I spray them with roundup or something comparable in late August - early sept it will kill em. A lot of em are 2 and 3 inch,s in diameter. Then just leave em dead or cut down with chain saw ? Does cutting them down kill them ?

6. Crow Creek

Crow Creek Refuge Member

Cutting the trees will not kill them. You will need to treat the stumps with straight round up or other brush killer. If you don't treat them they will shoot up a bunch of sprouts from the remaining stump. I've never found willows that hard to kill. Digging them is the best way to get rid of them.

7. Cedarlakeforge

I may spray them ,then, when there dead dig them up , get rid of the brush and take the chisel plow not very deep to get the roots out. Then disc and pack. I’m always looking for suggestions. A lotta work.

8. hhpage

hhpage Senior Refuge Member

I push them and pile them with a farm tractor and a loader bucket. They are very shallow rooted. Start up high on the trunk and push them until the root ball pops out on the near side, then back up and push the root ball the rest of the way out. They don't come back if you remove them this way. Big ones are actually easier to push than little ones. I have cleared acres of them with an 80hp tractor.

9. Cedarlakeforge

10. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

What hhpage said. Go ahead and push 'em up and burn 'em. You can smoke willow saplings with roundup and keep them under control if you catch them less than 24" tall. Don't know about SE MO, but here they're usually flowering in May. You have a better chance of keeping them under control if you can keep standing water on until after they've flowered or have it completely dry while they're flowering. Exposed mudflats and areas with just a couple inches of water during flowering are a recipe for regrowth.