Willows

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Ducky CPA, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Ducky CPA

Ducky CPA Senior Refuge Member

Sprayed a big patch of young willow trees with Crossroads. Want to eventually bush hog them down. How long do I need to wait before I bush hog them down to have the best chance of most of them not coming back up?

2. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Safe bet would be 10-14 days assuming the label does not state otherwise.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  3. Ducky CPA

Thanks for the reply. Definitely close to what I was thinking. I was guessing 2-4 weeks. Just want to ensure the roots are dead and thus don't come back up. It amazes me how quickly they can grow and take over an area.

4. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

You could check the stems to make sure they weren’t still green and flexible at say two weeks and then weekly after that if they had not become dried and brittle.

5. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

They will come back if it is generally a wet area. Spray them early and often so they dont become full fledged trees. Bush hogging trees can be pretty rough on equipment. They will eventually rot, die and break off on their own. I personally would not be in a rush to bush hog them. Let the herbicide work and do its job so you dont have to worry about wasting your time, energy and expense reapplying hetbicide and or bush hogging.

Are you sure the herbicide you were using is not called crossbow???

Just curious.

Good luck

6. Ducky CPA

I used Crossroad which is a substitute(generic) for Crossbow.

7. Drakes Landing

Ducky CPA, thanks. I was not familiar with the generic label. Good to know there is one! I will have to check it out. I have not used Crossbow in sometime but I know it is good one woody vegetation like willows etc.

Good luck with you clean up operation! Dang willows can wreak havoc not too mention they are a beaver and muskrats best friend! Don't need to give them any more ammunition!!!!!

8. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

What exactly is the best way to get rid of a willow tree? Will the Crossbow/Crossroad be my best bet? I know last year I cut a bunch of Willow Trees down and danged if they are not back in force?

Mayes

9. Rudder

Rudder Senior Refuge Member

Another generic for Crossbow is Candor

10. Drakes Landing

If willows are small 4" in diameter or less I think you can get away with just spraying. If larger than that would still spray but may want to drill a hole in tree and put some product in the hold. Drill down at a 45 so the herbicide can soak in.

We have had good luck with Crossbow and just spraying. If you douse the foliage it will eventually kill the tree clear to the root. They will break off eventually.

Good luck