Winch

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by lab1, Nov 25, 2017.

1. lab1

lab1 Elite Refuge Member

I have a gatortrax with the receiver on the front for a winch. I am looking for ideas for a decent winch set up. Not looking to spend for the best since it will rarely get used. Thanks in advance.

2. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

Harbor freight probably most reasonable. I carry a 3000# portable in my tow truck, has remote control. For use in boat, a very good anchor is needed when a tree is to far away. Have used it to help get my two wheel drive truck up Icy ramps.

Native NV Ducker likes this.
  3. lab1

lab1 Elite Refuge Member

I will never be near a tree. I hunt in a marsh environment. I am interested in the hook up to the front of the boat. What do you guys use?

4. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

How in the world are you going to winch your boat over something if there’s nothing to hook it to? Am I missing something?

Tuleman likes this.
  5. lab1

lab1 Elite Refuge Member

Like mentioned, use a good anchor to pull the boat out if I should get stuck.

6. BD7000

BD7000 Senior Refuge Member

I say go with quality I have a Warn 2500. It has gotten me out of some pretty bad situations. For a anchor go the cheap way and get a couple T posts and a small sledge hammer. Hammer them a foot apart and wrap the anchor line around the post as low as you can go. Works great
    [​IMG]

callinfowl likes this.
  7. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Some of our sga's here have dikes you have to go over to get to your bingo zone. Guys that regularily hunt them almost akk have winches on thier boats and slide rails on the hull

8. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

C'MON MAN !!!
    Yeah gotta have a little redneck in you somewhere.
    A 1"-1/2 x 10' Galvi pipe or a 10' 2x4'' and a single jack hammer you can even use your push pole crammed into the mud or wedged behind tules or other brush.:yes:tu

9. lab1

lab1 Elite Refuge Member

LOL, I have a 1850 Gatortrax that is heavy. Thanks for the replys! I am looking for pics of how you attached the winch to the boat receiver. I have the 2X2 square stock under the front of the boat. So, I am looking for ideas to hook a winch to that.

10. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

A decent sized anchor is so easy. Just walk it out and drop it. No sledge hammers, no pounding.