Winch

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by lab1, Nov 25, 2017.

1. BD7000

BD7000 Senior Refuge Member

All you need is T posts and a sledge hammer and even if you have nothing to anchor to. Got my self out of some nasty spots

2. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

I keep my winch in a milk crate with a length of chain bolted onto the bottom and a shackle. If I need to use it I can attach it to the bow eye, or the rear handles depending on which way I want to pull the boat out

3. umahunter

umahunter Elite Refuge Member

Whatever you get replace the steel cable with a synthetic rope so you don't have to worry about a rusted out cable also pick yourself up a 4 foot earth anchor you can screw into the ground if there no trees etc available

4. lockingblock

lockingblock New Member

There are always anchors...sometimes you just have to create them. You can tie to something that you place. A long metal fence picket, driven deep at a 45 deg angle will hold.

Getting the picket back out...good luck.

Sweat involved.

5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Not true. Just get yourself a danforth anchor that is the next size or two up from what your boat would normally use. It isn't the weight of those anchors that is important, but their design and square inches of flat surface that digs into the bottom.

6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

A Danforth is designed to hold a floating boat in place in low wind/low current. It cannot be counted on to hold on soft mud as a winch anchor.
    That's been my experience, anyway.

7. Lives_to_hunt

Lives_to_hunt Elite Refuge Member