Wire grass problem

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by JFG, Aug 7, 2017.

1. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

I know the term is used for a wide variety of grasses but the kind I have looks like Bermuda. It's starting to spread more and more, particularly on the drier areas where my panic grass is and also is creeping into some of the corn boundaries. I've killed it before spot spraying with glyphosate but might have to get on it better next spring.

But my real concern is you can't drown it! Last year you could see a little poking up above the water surface and surviving. This year I held back 3 acres of water in an adjacent unit and just now noticed it's popped to the surface like crazy! I want that stuff gone so other than spraying Rodeo or other water approved glyphosate products, what other "alternatives" are there to take care of the problem? Any body else have wire grass issues?

2. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

Nuke it!

Habitat in a purely wetland situation. Assuming you can get it. Arsenal otherwise. Same chemical just one is for upland and the other for wetlands. I have had the same problem with Bahia grasses which may be what you have. Mind you it will be mostly a dead spot until next year.

3. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

I hate the thought of having to use the "nuclear option". I can easily get to the above surface grasses on the small pond and will just spot spray the adjecent unit. I'll pick up some Habitat, have plenty of glyphosate for then other place.