Wolves!

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by marsh fox, Mar 2, 2014.

1. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

I am an active fox shooter when in the uk like i am at THE MOMENT! No fox in NZ milions in Australia but that place sucks its full of Australians ( sorry ausies only teasing).:joker
    I do want to hunt coyote and most of all wolves, i naturally don't know what its going to be like, but i am guessing . Awesome!.
    Now i am at the early stages of planning my first visit to the states apart from airport stops, i dont want to do very much there apart from hunt Wolf and coyote. I got just about everything else covered in NZ/uk but not these predators.
    Now i jave read the debates on the Duck hunter section, sounds like they are being shot a little more over there, where would be a good place to hunt for these critters not necessarily in the same area or state, but the Best place, by best i mean tag availability easiesr licensing for non resident hunters, freedom of hunting lands, i will need help but do not want to be guided if i can get to do it myself in law.
    I would appreciate help here, i am totally oblivious to my requirements and where to start or places to go legal requisites anything,, i am clueless, if anyone can offer help advice assistance up to a point i would be great full, i dont want a free lunch here and will pay my way, but if i can do it all on my own as much as is practical then that is what i would much rather do. I am knowledgeable with bushcraft fieldcraft and i am fit and healthy. I have horse and motorcycle atv experience but zero experience with snow machines, boats i know how to handle a boat or kyak or jet ski. My preference is motorcycle or ATV.
    Guns! I have a few but not sure what i need or if it would be better hireing/ buy and sell on something there.
    I was thinking .22250 or 2506 but not sure. I have both of these in bolt guns tikkas. .22250 has a moderator.
    Right any advice please because boy i need advice because i know zero about this. ;)

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Sure, you can do it alone, but you are going to need a lot of luck. I have talked to a LOT of very experienced hunters around MT, guys who get their elk every year, and have 'tried' to get a wolf. Not very easy. None that I have talked to have been successful. Most are taken in a chance encounter. I mentioned in a thread earlier this season I had two stalk me and my dog as we were hunting along a river. Had I had a rifle, and been ready, it was an easy kill.

Your gun choices are fine, though you could go lighter. .223/.243 are enough. They are just big dogs, and not a lot of armor on them.

This is what I mean about needing a lot of luck:
    Wolf packs live within territories, which they defend from other wolves. Their territories range in size from 50 square miles to more than 1,000 square miles, depending on the available prey and their seasonal movements. Wolves travel over large areas to hunt, as far as 30 miles in a day. Although they usually trot along at five miles per hour, wolves can run as fast as 40 miles per hour for short distances.
    http://www.fws.gov/midwest/wolf/aboutwolves/biologue.htm

http://fieldguide.mt.gov/detail_AMAJA01030.aspx

3. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Its a line i want to walk, but like i said, without some kind of background knowledge from an experienced local to begin with. :scratch Well it would be a near miracle to pull it off, and as much if not more of a fluke for want of a better description than being Nanny guided in to them.
    I looked on predatormasters they sound a challenge, its a daunting task and i am a little scared of the laws over there, i saw a tv show a wile ago in NZ about some hunter who shot a polar bear, and they (the authorities) decided it was a brown polar hybrid:eek: Now what if i shoot a wolf dog hybrid when i got a tag for a wolf. is this breaking thev law or not, are domestic dog hybrids classed as feral or vermin or are they a separate class, they exist these hybrids it implied this on a tv show the other day, that was in British Columbia. These are just touching on my questions/ concerns, its a big undertaking this, the working things out part will be as much if not more than the hunt, and that sounds real tough:nutz

4. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Your setting out for a tough adventure. The coyote shouldn't be too tough. The wolf will be, especially on your own and in the States. If I was to go after both of them I would look real close at Alberta or Saskatchewan (maybe even Manitoba and NW Ontario Canada.)

I lived and hunted coyotes in Colorado for years. The eastern plains of Colorado, and Wyoming are good places. Montana and ND are also good. Nebraska sand hill coyotes are nice too. All these areas have good public land access (Colorado probably has the least access on the plains) I mention these as the fur quality would be much better than say a Texas or Arizona yote. I assume you want to take some tanned furs home.

I live in northern MN, 6 miles from the Manitoba border and 25 miles from the Ontario border. We have both coyotes and wolves here. A wolf season was opened 2 years ago. Tags are limited and I suspect will get tougher to get as the preference point system adds up.

Prior to the hunting season we called wolves in regularly just for the rush of seeing them. In the short 2 years of hunting them and every Tom, Dick and Harry blasting a FoxPro at them they already seam to be getting call shy. I haven't drawn a tag yet but I have been involved in the taking of 2 wolves, both called in.

Wolves are tough and I would lean towards the 25-06. That caliber can be loaded a bit lighter for coyotes but still a 100 gr would work for yotes. The 22-250 IMO is the best yote caliber. I've shot 100's of them with one. My son shoots a 25-06 and I'm always impressed with that caliber when loaded with the right bullet.

Below is a picture of a 76 lb male wolf called in and shot with a 280 Rem. This is a nice MN wolf.

[​IMG]

Traveling as far as you will be traveling a guide in Canada maybe your best chance at a wolf. If you need some help tracking one down, let me know. If you still want to do one on your own I can share some things that have worked for us.

Good luck

5. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Great info musher, i was a bit unsure of the size of rifle i should use but think i will be taking my ruger 77 7mm rem mag based on what you said about the 22250 and the .2506 being more desirable. I was thinking use a 120 sierra or a 140 grain deer bullet i think, any advice on bulets please. for wolf obviously.
    I do want to do it on my own if i can, i may visit with a hunting buddy but not sure about that yet.
    I dont need tags for coyote --Right? What is the procedure for a foreigner like me getting a tag and a permit to hunt, but what else will i likely need.

6. musher

I wouldn't flinch at using a 25-06 loaded with a 100 gr Sierra Game King for wolf. I've seen that bullet anchor some big deer. Loaded with a 75 gr V-max is just as deadly on coyote. 7 mm is definitely enough gun and I'm sure something in the 130-140 gr would be enough.

Not sure how tags work out west but in MN there is a draw for wolf. We have a couple seasons and I would recommend the late hunting season which is in December. The season goes until quota is met in each area. I suspect most of Canada is an over the counter license. Most states will require a small game or furbearer license for coyote. Check out the states your interested for details but in MN I pretty sure you can apply as they let non-residents hunt wolves. You may need a hunter education card depending on your age (I think being born after 1968 or something).

Outside of a good gun and clothing you'll need transportation. Depending on snow depth an ATV or snowmobile would be good. Unless they are logging an area most roads around us aren't plowed in the forest. A 4 wheel drive truck would be a must. A good supply of gas because you'll put on a lot of miles locating wolves. Some type of call, I use a mouth call or just my voice, you may want an electronic call. No night hunting here for them, so you won't need lights. Time and a lot of it would be a big help to.

7. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

You say late / December season . Why is that ?.
    I am set on the 7mm magnum now, its more sense weighs no more than the 2506 and i have a bit better quality scope on that a swarovski.
    A truck is a problem, buying hireing one, apart from my euro and new zealand drivers licence , what warant of fittnes or Ministry of transport test does a car need over there, and what insurance is needed . Man even the basics are awkward you can understand visitors just getting a guided hunt.
    But me being me i never take the easy route only the best one in the end . ;)

8. musher

There are a couple seasons in MN. 1st hunting season is at the same time as deer season. Way too many people in the woods. 2nd season a lot less people but it does run concurrent with the wolf trapping season. Fur quality is best later.

I assume that most car rental places have some type of truck or SUV to rent. No clue on driver license requirements as I've only traveled to Mexico and Canada. Both places you can drive on a US drivers license.

I know you want to do this alone and can appreciate that. Check out the link below. I don't know anything about this guide but I follow his thread each year on an archery site I visit.

http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?forum=9&threadid=426223&MESSAGES=210&FF=CMT

9. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

I would think Canada or Alaska would be the best chance at getting a wolf..coyotes you can get anywhere over here.

10. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

I am leaning towards canada at the moment but its early days.