Wolves!

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by marsh fox, Mar 2, 2014.

1. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

I am proper getting compromised now, :scratch
    I was mentioning this plan to a friend, who promptly informed me of a mutual friend of us both who i have not seen for years, had just come back from a wolf hunt in Russia some place:sp
    I rang the chap up see what it had been like over there, and man he did not shut up for ten mins solid, he loved it there. Apparently he got a hotel booked a local fur trapper took him to some places about 30 miles away from the hotel and gave him a few ideas, (spoke perfect English apparently) They saw a tigger on one of these trips out. He hired a old army GAZ jeep off the hotel and he hunted a week shot 5 wolf, i am going down to see him this weekend. Sounds tempting, but i really wanted America, but the prices he was talking i may just go there for a warm up session.
    One thing he did say was there was lots of tigger tracks about in many different locations he went to all within a 50 square or so, he feels all the talk about tiggers being near extinct cant be right, unless he was in the most densly populated part for them. :scratch

2. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

I think you are looking in the right direction with Canada or Russia. I know 2 guys that have hunted in Russia (for bears) and both loved it. They said the conditions are not fancy and flying in some of the aircraft was sketchy at best but the people and hunting was well worth it.

If I thought I could give you a better than average chance at a wolf I would invite you to Minnesota and let you use my Truck, ATV or snowmobile. The odds of drawing a tag is slim and it's a long ways to travel and will cost a lot to get here for a low success rate.

Good luck and be sure to keep us posted on what you decide.

3. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Went to the mates home today he showed me his photos and a video he is putting on youtube at some point, the Russian hunt looked awesome, he said he was most surprised at the people there, he said they were very good company pleasant and very proud and conservation minded, with a true passion for the sport. Wolf are very common over there in the area he hunted, he was told by a local hunter that after WW2 there had been that many human beings dead and dieing roaming the area around the time of the German retreat, that they had got a true taste for human flesh, and attacks were common place in the hunters fathers time, but although obviously still dangerous they avoided humans more these days.
    I can remember reading about the aftermath of ww2 and the wolves feeding on human corpses etc, but i cant say i ever envisaged it lasting as long as it did. Russia sounds an interesting place, and very different people there than i imagined.

4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

5. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Well that more or less tells the same story that was conveyed to me, there have been more attacks much more recent than the ww2 days though which wikipedia did not mention, a woman was killed in the 1990s when walking a setter type dog i can remember seeing it on the news, and when the Kosovo war and bosnia was taking place bear and wolf attacks took place on refugees fleeing the conflict i can remember. One thing my mate did say was they were very fearless he said they came in confidently and in a group and even after he shot they retreated only a few hundred yards then started looking back and on one occasion they looked like they were coming back for another go, he said he was surprised at his whole experience and what he had seen on TV seemed to bear little resemblance to how these animal;s reacted to humans, i dont think the Russian areas are anywhere near as utilized by people as say the yellow stone wolves territories you see on TV are, but thats just his guess he made based on what he actually saw.
    You got to remember he or most hunters from Britain and most certainly NZ dont get to have any experience with predators of this type, and what seems strange behaviour to us is perhaps understandable to you guys who see these things more often. Pluss the TV shows are marketed at portraying these animals as cute fury fluff balls that are a low threat to us humans, where as reality and the Russians themselves tell a very different story.

6. Wastinshells

Wastinshells Elite Refuge Member

I dont know much about wolf hunting but I have heard it is tough business. I would go on where your chances are best. Spend your money wisely! :)

7. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Trying to get some more detailed answers Rusia looks too expensive, but not ruled it out yet.
    Got a contact in Kazakhstan this looks much better. I think i have shook off the guiding but only by pure kindness.
    Not sure of best time of year there yet sounds like motorcycle is the way when hunting this area.
    From what i have been told the kazacks are a very friendly people. they have a big wolf population there.
    One thing i did learn guides are expensive its a shock to the locals when i expect so little of them, traveling hunters want hotel accomodation the finest food waited on hand and foot.:scratch
    When asked asked by the contact would i eat rabbit hare and goat and i said yes he seemed suprized. Its certainly the cheapest i am ever going to get to get a wolf, thinking of going one better and going on my own motorcycle and riding some of the way to the border make a proper trip of it. A wolf and a road trip all rolled into one. :cool:

8. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

You would not use a guild for a hunt?

9. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

No i never will for anything.