Women flocking to hunt

Discussion in 'Women's Hunting Forum' started by h2ofwlr, Sep 16, 2010.

1. h2ofwlr

h2ofwlr Elite Refuge Member

Women flocking to hunt
    Women have unprecedented opportunities to hunt as numbers decline nationwide.

By DOUG SMITH, Star Tribune
    Last update: September 15, 2010 - 7:43 AM

Megan Rhode is one of the most enthusiastic hunters you'll ever meet.

And she's never killed a thing in her life.

Rhode, 25, of Hastings, recently learned how to shoot a shotgun and hopes to harvest her first wild game this fall. She and four other first-time female Canada goose hunters hunkered in a blind Saturday near Chaska, partaking in a women's goose hunt, a new event sponsored by Delta Waterfowl, a waterfowl conservation group.

"Hunting already has changed my life," Rhode said. "I've met so many good people. I'm passionate about getting more women involved in hunting."

Rhode and her fellow female hunters are among a wave of women who are being recruited nationwide to fill the gap of a declining number of hunters. While hunter numbers are stable in Minnesota, the Department of Natural Resources and conservation groups are boosting efforts to target women -- long ignored by wildlife agencies, sportsman's clubs and conservation groups.

More: http://www.startribune.com/sports/o...yaiUgOahccyiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUs