Women's pheasant hunt 11-23-08

Discussion in 'Women's Hunting Forum' started by cowgirlnca, Nov 24, 2008.

1. cowgirlnca

cowgirlnca Senior Refuge Member

So, yesterday I met up with a friend for the women's hunt in Modesto.

It was a whirl wind to say the least. There were 60 pheasant released into 4 small fields with little cover for 8 ladies. And that alone was a bit distracting because you could look ahead and some birds along the ground... of course I would forget to watch right in front of me then. DOH

First bird gets up and I don't get my shot gun to my cheeck..ouch.. Bang bang bang, feathers a flying but nothing is dyin' Damn!

Next bird, again, I'm looking ahead seeing one way up the way and not remembering to watch right in front of me... up goes a rooster, Bang, Bang, finally dropped like a rock...then runs..LOL the chase is on, but Kona, he's the man. Catchs him and brings him back.

My friend is off to my left and see's three more roosters... Takes a hike over to them ... hmmmm... comes back empty handed.

So, back to the middle of the field, here comes Kona with a rooster in his mouth.. DAMN, I hate that but he did good... So, basically I'm done, right, cause he brings a live cripple back. I start working with Cabo on that bird. He's loving it alot but not bringing it back.

Back to the hunt, it's all about getting birds for my friend now as I'm done right... but I throw it out there, can I back you up? She's of course more than happy to have that happen... (thank you so much) and off we go again.

Cabo the little guy is birdy as all get out.. My heart starts racing because he's really starting to put it all together. I'm watching this pup go from a nice wide sweep, down to a 10ft sweep then 5, then up pops a rooster! Um, cause he was on the right side and Meili would have had to shoot thru Steve and I, I whacked it. Cabo goes right to it, picks it up, puts it down and so we play for a bit but he never brings it back... he's getting it tho.

After that we have another rooster flush, right in front of Steve. He ducks, I jump back and Meili smokes em! Damn nice shootin!!

We continue after that for a few more training retrieves for Cabo. He starts by finding the bird... then I'm working on gettinig that bird to my hand. Few times he'd pick it up, carry a few feet but not quite there yet. Next time I think he'll do it tho.

We were the first into the field and the first out. I think we finished in under an hour.

Left and went to the Bass Pro shop... Fun fun, that place was great.

Then home for us. We had a quad to buy, we're taking it with us Wednesday on our deer hunting trip to Montana. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Duckologist

Duckologist Elite Refuge Member

Looks like much fun!:tu

3. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

Just keep getting him out into those birds and it'll all come together. Don't be afraid to let him drag a checkcord and use that to encourage him to bring to hand and praise him up big when he does. He's coming along great! Keep it no pressure and it'll come along well!

Doug

4. cowgirlnca

Yup, it'll come together soon. He's picking them up, just not carrying the bird yet, just a few feet then drops it, comes back to me, then I send him out and he goes back, again brings it a few feet and drops it. We trained when he was smaller with a check cord because he wouldn't come back to me, he'd run on by with every dummy. The check cord helped. Do you think that will help him to carry the bird ... he just barely started picking it up this last trip out. But the trip before he only would find the bird, not carry at all.

I'm very impressed with him. He'll be 7 months on the 8th of December so still really young.

5. SCDUBOY

SCDUBOY Senior Refuge Member

nice work ladies, congrats!

6. Bandtaker

Bandtaker Elite Refuge Member

Very Nice work ladies. To bad your not closer where my lady could tag along. She gets lonely here with no other ladies in the field.

7. cowgirlnca

It's true for around here too... not a whole lot of ladies to hunt with.

8. Bandtaker

Bandtaker Elite Refuge Member

Cg if you or any other ladies comes to Ga hunting let me know and I will get her in touch with yall for a hunt. Good Luck rest of season

9. cowgirlnca

You bet, I'll look you guys up.
    :)

10. Kimmie

Kimmie Moderator Sponsor Moderator

AWESOME!!!

Looks like a ton of fun to me and Kabo (I'll say it again) looks like a clone of his Momma...

:bow You da girl Val! :bow