Women's pheasant hunt 11-23-08

Discussion in 'Women's Hunting Forum' started by cowgirlnca, Nov 24, 2008.

1. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

Val,

It's possible the checkcord could help with that but it sounds more like he's gonna need FF in time. Interested to know how he does with smaller birds than pheasants? Have you worked him on quail yet? Does he retrieve them at all. He's still young but he should really like picking up the birds by now. If you have a local club or pro nearby or just someone with alot of retriever training experience I'd definitely get their opinion of him. I like to go easy and gentle especially with a young dog. Sometimes it just takes them some time to get it all put together. But there are many other positive things that come from FF when done at the right age.

Doug

2. Kimmie

Kimmie Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Force Fetch will clean that up... I promise. & Remember, if you don't get it corrected and continue to hunt him he'll pick up bad habits that will be even harder to break him of later...

:)

3. cowgirlnca

cowgirlnca Senior Refuge Member

Funny you should say that... I have been working on it but feel like I don't have a clue if I'm doing it right. I read all the books and bought the smart works video's. I worked with him last night. Its a struggle. Hopefully with my consistency he'll come to figure it out soon because I haven't seen much progress yet on that end.

4. cowgirlnca

He had no problems with dove in September, we had to use a check cord then, as he was so young. And last night I worked him with the pheasant (yes, I left that one in the fridge for him), he retrieved it every time, and brought it to my hand. Had some trouble carrying due to the wings, he kept stepping on them. But he never gave up and every one came back to me, in my hand or at my feet.

I am going to look for a local trainer that can help me with the FF since this is my first go round and I'm feeling like we are struggling all the time.

5. Kimmie

Kimmie Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Get some help from a trainer... I hate that you're feeling uncomfortable with it. You shouldn't live on the other side of the flippin' world from me girlie! ;)

:D

6. cowgirlnca

Hey, just move on out here to CA... The weather is nice..LOL

7. cowgirlnca

Ok Kimmie, I found someone to help with Cabo's training. And she's local, right here in my hometown! We're getting together this week!

8. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

:tu:tu:tu