Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Wood duck and Shoveler pair

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by schmidte217, Feb 22, 2008.

1. TheWaterfowler

TheWaterfowler Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

2. flyline

flyline Elite Refuge Member

Heath Hen, the term game bird gave it away

3. schmidte217

schmidte217 Senior Refuge Member

We have a WINNER!!:grvn Yep, it is a Heath Hen. Can't wait to get him, still in great shape, especially being 150+ years old:cool:

I know alot of people aren't familiar with them, especially not being around for so long, so I will post up some good background info along with identifying characteristics of this bird once I get him. Other alternative will be a tear soaked keyboard and pics of what he used to look like before shipping him...

Eric

4. squatty420

squatty420 Elite Refuge Member

HOLY COW!

Man I wouldn't have trusted such a trophy to shipping. I'd of drove across country if necessary to pick it up myself. If it were to be damaged I'd rather be the one to have done the damage than the boys in blue or brown shorts.

I'm anxious to hear the story behind this bird. :grvn I'll be praying for it's safe delivery to you. :tu

5. TheWaterfowler

TheWaterfowler Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

That would have been my last guess. I had Attwater's walking in my goose decoys in the early 70's in S. Texas, but opted not to collect one. Hope it works out and in one piece. Look forward to seeing it. Now if we can find a couple of Pink Headed Ducks or Crested Shelducks we'll be in tall cotton.

6. schmidte217

Believe me, if I could have drove anywhere to pick him up I would have, but there aren't any roads going across the atlantic ocean:no Really nothing I could do I'm sad to say.

But I will say this, I doubt they will deal with Americans again after the 10 emails on shipping procedures:l But I feel very fortunate to have an opportunity at a bird that I never ever thought I would have a chance at. I've gotten alot of other "guesses" this year but it is just impossible to top this bird for me anyway.

Eric

7. schmidte217

It would be cool to have an attwater's too, then I'd have all four of the prairie chickens:sp But even if that day never comes, I'll be perfectly content with ol' Heathy. The attwater will never go extinct barring a freak freak disaster, with several captive breeding sites, they probably won't ever have great numbers but should be around for a long time still, so may be hope for me yet on a "chicken quad" (that's for you Chesepeakie).

Really I just lucked into the Heath, so I'm hoping I can do the same with the passenger pigeon:cool: Oh heck, and a labrador too....

Eric

8. fowldreams

fowldreams Elite Refuge Member

Very nice work.. :)

9. flyline

flyline Elite Refuge Member

I got to come clean. I remebered it as cape cod grouse. Just remebered something I read long ago. It took alot to bring that wrinkle to the front of my brain. I had to go to pawtuxet and find the proper name.

Congrates hope you had it packed in a 3/4 plywood box. I also hope you did not mark it 'fragile' or 'glass handle with care'. It seems to be a challenge to the shipping companies to see how small they can make a package.

10. schmidte217

I expected it would be someone from New England that would guess it, little guy was a pretty big piece of early settlement history. It is crazy to think of having something that is extinct, especially being so much into waterfowl and upland birds. A great auk, dodo, auckland islands merganser and so on would be awesome, but I think I would take a Labrador duck and/or pair of passenger pigeons over all of them:cool:

Eric