Wood Duck box Predator Guards....where to get em

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Trophyduck, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

I'm going to install some WD boxes (in Maryland) and was wondering where you guys get your guards or how you make them. They'll be installed on metal road sign poles. thanks

2. Rudder

Rudder Senior Refuge Member

I get them from the Maryland Wood Duck Initiative (MWDI). The ones I get are made for 4x4's, but they may make them for metal poles as well. They have a web site.

3. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

If you have a large printing company close by you might get used printing plates (aluminum) for free or for scrap value. You'll need to cut them to size with tin snips but once you have a template, it goes pretty quickly.

4. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Elite Refuge Member

I used the pattern for square post near the bottom of https://myfwc.com/media/3187/wood-duck-box.pdf and it worked well. It also has a pattern for a round pole, but is probably intended for a wooden one - you would need to adapt your mount for a metal pole.

I got the sheet metal from a buddy who works in HVAC.

5. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Go to a scrap yard,get sheet metal,trace a 36 inch circle,cut it out and then cut a slice out of it,drill three holes,I use aluminum rivets to connect the metal back together to.from the cone. You will also have to cutout the top center of the cone to fix it to a round of square pole. Degree of difficulty...two out of ten,wear gloves easy to cut your hands with the metal.

stevena198301 and duckbuster5901 like this.
  6. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

Go to Lowes or HD and buy a 6Ft section of metal Duct piping for ventilation 4-6 inch depending on the side of your pipe/post. I like using the larger size screw it to the top of the post and at the bottom. $8.00

7. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Predator cones work the best. If you cant find thin sheet metal right size smaller ones can be pop riveted together to get the 36" width needed for cone pattern. Make sure to keep tight to pole its mounted on as Mr. snake can slither thru that tiny space if left open. Haven,t had much luck with just duct piping over post. The piping Helps with coons climbing when its new and slick but have watched snakes go right up it.

8. Uncle.Lou

Uncle.Lou Senior Refuge Member

I sign post for my wood duck boxes, I have had good luck using four-inch PVC that I slid over the post and bolted to the sign post. And gutter has worked 4’ pieces of gutter which is very easy to cut and bolt. and slide thur the sign post and then attaching the wood duck house.

9. Uncle.Lou

Uncle.Lou Senior Refuge Member

[QUOTE="Uncle.Lou, post: 11158801, member: 62392"I use sign post for my wood duck boxes, I have had good luck using four-inch PVC that I slid over the post and bolted to the sign post. And gutter has worked 4’ pieces of gutter which is very easy to cut and bolt. and slide thur the sign post and then attaching the wood duck house.[/QUOTE]

10. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

Well the man from the Maryland Wood Duck Initiative isn't answering me back. How long of a piece of Duct or PVC do you suggest?