Wood duck Pictures

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by mak2782, Apr 12, 2017.

1. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

Wood ducking season is in full effect already! Thought I would share a few pictures here to see if anyone else had any good ones from this season that they wanted to share. Feel free to post them here!

This year with the heavy rainfall, I am hoping for an exceptional hatch. One thing that I did notice is the weeds are almost 6 to 7 feet tall in some places, so I have had to trim them back around the boxes and even cut paths for baby wood ducks to the water at some boxes.

Anyhow, enjoy the photos and please post your own if you can!

Got a couple good photos of this girl from my game camera before she hatched out her clutch and moved on. Who says orchards cant be duck friendly?? The birds appear to actually really like the boxes I have put in our small walnut orchard this year.

I swear she is smiling for the camera here......
    [​IMG]

Touchdown!
    [​IMG]

Here's an example of what i mean by the huge weed growth. The local mallard are LOVING it.
    [​IMG]

2. mak2782

A couple more......

[​IMG]

Lots of down........ happy momma, happy eggs... happy nest. Eggs seem to do better from my experience with lots of down. Good insulation for when momma take a quick trip to get a bite to eat.
    [​IMG]

3. Pickleweed

Pickleweed Senior Refuge Member

Here's a few photos we captured a few weeks back. We've had at least one hatched out nest already and have several more active nests right now. We're making a banding run next week and will have more photos then.

[ATTACH IMG_1379.JPG IMG_1386.JPG IMG_1391.PNG =full]168096[/ATTACH] IMG_1386.JPG IMG_1391.PNG

Canso_Dan, HARD-UP, Ryan and 4 others like this.
  4. pumpgunner

pumpgunner Elite Refuge Member

5. DuckFan

DuckFan Elite Refuge Member

very cool!! Great pics. Well Done

6. DkKiller&Max

DkKiller&Max Elite Refuge Member

Awesome photos guys!

7. DkKiller&Max

DkKiller&Max Elite Refuge Member

So the journey begins. We built, numbered, personalized and named our own boxes last month.:cool:

[​IMG]

Set out 11 boxes March 18th on two properties. A few sprinkles that day plus still wet around. All good.
    [​IMG]

Came back up April 1st to check boxes. We were pleasantly surprised with our results. Several nests. It all came together for my young daughters once they saw the first eggs. Pretty cool.
    [​IMG]

We even got some help from an expert and we banded one hen with the rare "Jewelry". :tu

[​IMG]

I set up one cam this am over a box with 23 eggs. Hope to have some cool photos to share in a couple weeks. Lots of Mallards and wood ducks around. Had my first encounter with the blue egg bomber. She trumped one of our nests...Should have plugged the hole on her quicker.

Mark you are not kidding it's a jungle out there in some spots with the weed growth.

We are having a blast. Big thanks to Mark for setting the stage last year for us with the CWA Wood Duck Day.

On the down comment we have some with and some without the down.

8. Ryan

Ryan Elite Refuge Member

Fantastic pics

9. George

George Elite Refuge Member

Awesome photos Mark... Kudos...

10. mak2782

DK. Thats such an awesome report. Wood ducking is so fun and rewarding. Sounds like you and your girls are into it. Love it.

Wood duck day got me interested in it many years back. Like hunting you learn more tactics every year.

Hope to see you again!!!