Wood Ducks jumped today

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by bbfky, Apr 27, 2019.

1. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

My daughter and I waited almost 3 hours this morning but it was worth it. Got at the farm a little after 8 and didn't hear any noises coming from the nesting box so we went to photograph the geese that hatched yesterday. Checked back in around 9:30 then around 10 I saw mama hen hanging half way out of the box, she stayed that way for almost 45 minutes then went back in and came back out and made us wait another 15 minutes and then she flew down, had 9 ducklings jump down in under 90 seconds They disappeared like ninjas into the wheat and headed for the woods. There is a large creek about 1/3 of the mile through the woods but other than that we have the only 2 ponds around, the wheat is almost a foot high all the way around the pond and we have 3 large trees that over hang one of the banks. We even built a large hideout with tposts and netting for them to hide under out in the water. I was really surprised they left us so quickly. We were really hoping to watch them grow up. We are hoping maybe they headed to the woods to avoid hawks and maybe they will return some time in the near future. This is our first year with the wood ducks so it was cool watching them make the jump. I thought maybe they would hang around the pond. Anyone out there ever see them leave a pond after jumping ? Hoping to see them again one day. Our other goose pair on this pond is due in 12 days so something else to look forward to

2. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

I have boxes on the edge of a small marsh I made. They use the boxes a ton and always walk the babies off the property to who knows where.

3. bbfky

Thanks for the reply, Kind of a bummer but at least they hatched successfully. We are going to put up a box on our upper pond later this summer for next year just have to build another one. The second one I built has a blue bird nest in it already. The one this hen nested in had 2 bluebird broods last year in the same box, glad she claimed it in March before the bluebirds did

4. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

That’s funny. I have bluebird boxes out also, they get used like crazy.

Regardless of where the hens go to raise the broods, you will see an increase in your box use over the next few years.

5. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

6D8776B5-C350-4AAF-9BCE-F3618D93BD00.jpeg D44270AA-3050-4C75-A62F-3A0574C0DECD.jpeg
    I got a couple crappy cell pic’s this evening of the woodies hanging out on my fence

stevena198301 likes this.
  6. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

66A89968-2347-4DA5-9579-EFC1883CDA99.jpeg 959185A5-FD37-4366-93AD-AEF1FC471EB7.jpeg
    Just happened to be home last year when I look out the window and see this Mom calling out here little ones, by the time out got the camera out, she had 8 out of the box. I held the camera on the box for 10 minutes as she called up to it, nothing, so she started to head for the water, is I am filming her and her little one heading out, they through a u turn and come back for this last one. They hit the water swam a 150 yards into the cattails, and the last we ever see of them.

Got at least 4 active boxes in the back yard this, have never actually seen a little one jump, close but no cigar. Check out the video below, for the ultimate nest departure.

stevena198301 and callinfowl like this.
  7. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Those Barnical babies are tough son of ah guns. :bow:bow:bow

8. bbfky

I have no idea how that first one survived all those bounces that had to hurt

thanks for sharing the pictures of the wood ducks. We were fortunate that we got to watch and photograph it, one of the things I can check off my nature bucket list

9. Rudder

Rudder Senior Refuge Member

I have 106 boxes on the property I manage and the hens always lead the ducklings away,but with so many boxes on different ponds; a different hen usually shows up with her ducklings after abandoning her box home water. I always assumed she was getting the babies away from the scent of hatching that might attract predators.

JRS likes this.
  10. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Refuge Member

I rarely get to see them after the first day. Kind of jealous that you got to see jump day. Most Hens are sitting here now. I do have a late hooded merganser still laying. Couple more weeks till they jump.

JRS likes this.