Wood or acrylic

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by William Ball, Oct 28, 2017.

1. William Ball

William Ball Refuge Member

what's your preference and why? Never had a wood call. Got to blow a wood xlt tonight at a store and really liked it.

2. stumpjumper0531

stumpjumper0531 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Wood barrel with acrylic insert every time.

Enjoy the beauty of the wood but also enjoy the repeatability of the acrylic insert.
    Wood barrel talks a tad of the crack off of the tone as well.

Stump

callinfowl and William Ball like this.
  3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

To my tin ear, some woods sound real-deal "birdier" (or mushier?) than acrylic, but I've come to believe that "crack" (or hard edge) Ron speaks of offers more leverage. Aesthetically, I'm a wood call guy, but there's only one wood call I still hunt with (a hedge speck call with all synthetic working parts used in finesse situations).

As a practical matter, though, I suspect you're apt to find as much or more difference between the tuning and/or toneboards of most any two random off-the-shelf calls of the same make, model and material as between a wood and acrylic call of the same make and model. And while it bugs some folks that some woods may change tones a skosh with use in the field, I knew a fellow who thought pre-soaking his wood call's insert was big medicine.

Anyway, it seems to me that if a guy finds a wood call that really floats his own boat, he ought to give it a go. Confidence is huge.

4. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

What he said!

William Ball likes this.
  5. choc24/7

choc24/7 Elite Refuge Member

like the sound of wood but for durability and reliability acrylic in the field..

OneShotBandit and William Ball like this.
  6. William Ball

William Ball Refuge Member

I think that's why I've always leaned towards acrylic. If I didn't have a breaker and openwater. I'd defentily have the XLT. It runs slick.

7. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

I've always been a wood call fan for hunting and or collecting which is all preference. My last call is acrylic T.B. with a hedge barrel, I'm finding that combo is hard to beat like others have said.:tu

William Ball likes this.
  8. Randy_Cesco

Randy_Cesco Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Pros and cons for both. Wood gives you a more "realistic" sound, but wood is more subject to shrinking and swelling which will change your tone. Acrylic, like mentioned above is more reliable and consistent in your tone from day to day but has a more "sharper" sound. It boils down to what you are wanting and how you take care of your calls.

William Ball likes this.
  9. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

This year I will be starting the season with a Blackwood Cadence "closer", a Blackwood Sprig/Teal whistle, and a Hedge barrel, brass gutted, RedBone Spck call.
    I bought the Cadence from a fellow Fuger, and it is one very fine sounding call. It is at least initially displacing my all time favorite acrylic, Gaston Straight Barrel. The Hedge RedBone was put together for me by Nathan Wright, and the whistle was built by former Californian Pete Wooley, who now lives in France.
    I will be also using "Callers" hedge barrel, blackwood insert call some.
    So I have migrated to appreciating wood calls for sure.

William Ball likes this.
  10. Goose Isle Gunner

Goose Isle Gunner Elite Refuge Member

I vote wood. Personal preference but I think they sound better. Hedge or blackwood in particular. Have had the same hedge call on my lanyard for the last 7 seasons and hasn't changed in sound that I've noticed. Be sure to pull the calls apart after EVERY hunt. I did have a freshly cut hedge call some time ago. Blew it everyday for about 2 weeks and noticed the tone channel had "waves" in it and was warping. Ever since then I "sit" hedge calls that freshly turned for a year to dry before heavily using them. I might be crazy but it's worked for me. Acrylic is good as far as consistency. There is something about hunting a wood call that was made by hand that feels right.

William Ball likes this.