Wood or acrylic

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by William Ball, Oct 28, 2017.

1. teul2

teul2 Senior Refuge Member

What is this acrylic crud you speak of? Didn't know they made real duck calls out of anything but wood.

All kidding aside, as a collector almost all I buy is wood. There are very few exceptions. To me, wood is always prettier. That said, I have a DR-85 and a modified D-2 Olt on my lanyard. :sp

William Ball likes this.
  2. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Micarta with acrylic insert

3. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Birdman, you are smack showing off.

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I can't make a wood call be "loud", but I run one in the timber almost exclusively. I did just buy a poly/acrylic call just to get some more volume for windy open water days.

As it stands, I keep my Yentzen and an RNT timber call close. We'll see if either gets swapped out with the two new calls I just purchased. The Yentzen is the only call I have ever been able to call ducks in like a turkey with though. Called up quite a few on the water from a hundred yards away. They will come in just like a turkey getting on some strange.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  5. lockingblock

lockingblock Refuge Member

Wood is beautiful but I see a ton of calls that are only finished on the exterior. For a wood call, that’s not good. Wood either needs a 100% coating on all surfaces, or none. Half coating is the worst option as it allows moisture in but not out... too many wood toneboards and holes are raw wood.

6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Why can't it get out the way it gets in?

7. lockingblock

lockingblock Refuge Member

Moisture usually follows grain structure and will exploit any points where it can travel more freely. It will often dry out before penetrating too deeply, so it’s not a giant issue if your call dries fully each day...but if a wood call gets wet, stays wet, and has relatively open grain structure...it’s going to swell and moisture will reach under finished wood.

There are a lot of factors, relative to the type of wood and how hydrophilic it is in whatever finished state the call is in.

8. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

"I knew a fellow who thought pre-soaking his wood call's insert was big medicine."
    We must know the same guy, he used a Yentzen and would religiously soak it. I just bought a acrylic RNT 40th Anniv. Timbre, but wanted a wood mdl. Should have bought one years ago...........

9. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Was once a pretty common practice among guys who hunted a lot. (As was not putting finish on wood toneboards among call makers.)

10. stumpjumper0531

stumpjumper0531 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

That's an opinion I disagree with

Stump

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018