Woodcock Talk

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Jeffer, Mar 17, 2001.

1. Jeffer

Jeffer Elite Refuge Member

I was just wondering how many die hard Woodcock hunters there are here? After reading the post about what Upland birds you like to hunt, it doesn't seem that to many hunt them very much.

Also, how have you found the populations to be in the last few years?
    I have noticed that the numbers have dropped off considerably in these parts. There are still a lot of birds around but nothing near what there use to be.

I've always liked to go out for them towards the end of the day about 3 hours before sunset. I probably get about 15 flushes in that time now but ten or even 20 years ago it wasn't uncommon to get 40 or 50 birds put up in the same time period. How many of them I actually hit is another story. Hehe.
    I know that a lot of my favourite spots have grown up a bit in the last 30 years so. I'm sure that has something to do with it. Since I like to use a good Woodcock hunt as a relaxing way to end a days hunting, I don't like to stray to far from the cabin so I'm not likely to change my spots very much. I've got to give the legs a chance to rest for the next morning.
    I know that the evening flights aren't what they use to be.
    One time my wife told me, there were so many flying around that I should just take a chair and sit in the field and shoot them as they fly by.

The hight of the migration happens in the first two weeks of October up here usually. You usually won't see any birds after the first week or two of November. It's always worried me when we get a patch of good weather that time of year because the birds seem to hang around longer. The problem is that a front can move in and drop 2 feet of snow in two days at any time there, which wouldn't give the little critters time to get away. I wonder how many perish in a situation like that?

I use the same loads as I do when I hunt Grouse. A #8 or #9 followed up with 7 1/2's all 7/8 ounce from a 20 guage. Just like Grouse, it doesn't take much to bring them down.
    Nice thing is that they live in the same areas. You never know what's going to flush. The Grouse hunting sure is good here but that's another topic.

Does any one here cook the whole bird? I just take the breast myself. I've heard of others messing around with the whole bird. I like to serve Woodcock as a side dish with Duck or Grouse.

"walk'n like a moose"
    Jeffer

[ 03-17-2001: Message edited by: Jeffer ]

2. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

Jeffer: We have to be really LUCKY to get in on a flight of 'Doodles. Most of those we do get are at random while we're hunting Pheasants and Quail and that's usually on a day that's unseasonably warm right after a cold snap.
    Man, they are DELICIOUS!

3. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

I get on them every now and then down here in the swamps. I look for whitewash and bore holes when I am scouting ducks. Don't see nearly as many as we used too.

4. Delta G

Delta G Elite Refuge Member

I'd love to hear more about hunting these little birds from those of you who do hunt them--I have seen birds out here that look like them when out duck hunting, but I don't know if that is what I was seeing or not--the habitat I have read about them being in in the east sounds very inviting.