Woodcock

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by ALLSTAR 1, Nov 17, 2013.

1. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

Waiting for shooting time along the Salt River in Missouri and dozens of woodcocks were dropping in across the full moon, never seen as many in one group!

2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Cool phenomenon to see. I've only seen the woodcock migration a couple times.

3. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Seen a big hen in the headlights the other night.

4. jon

jon Elite Refuge Member

I love woodcock hunting. Here in Wisconsin, ruffed grouse hunting and woodcock are hard to beat. If you have a pointing dog, they hold tight for young dogs and are truly a great training bird for grouse. They are a cool bird and a blast to shoot. Tasty as well........

5. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

We get up to Minocqua/woodruff area every fall for a few days of grouse hunting in early October. Many years the hunt has been saved by Timberdoodles.

6. OldGeezer

OldGeezer Refuge Member

Growing up bobwhite hunting in Alabama, the dogs would sometimes point a woodcock in the marshy areas. Nice flyers, really quick, lots of fun to shoot at.

7. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

serenade one time in my life......as a migrating flock passed in front of the Moon at night. Their "Peent, Peent" is still present in my memory.
    I assumed they would drop in on the creek bottoms within a mile of my home and I was pleasantly surprised with my Springer pup (Sunny Boy) the next morning as he went about his business from one flush to the next.
    I've never had the opportunity to hunt any of the Grouse family but have hunted and shot many Pheasant and Quail.
    Alas! Alas!....our Hedge Rows are nearly all gone now....and with them we are now witnessing the passing of Bob White Quail and Ring-neck Pheasants.
    No matter as this old man has nearly come to his own passing. I wonder if there is any hunting "up there."
    "Hmmmmm"....I wonder if HE has set aside any good Trout Streams for us Old Fly Fishermen?;)