Woodcocks? Snipe? Wth?

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by TWOBIT, Jan 12, 2008.

1. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

twobit, woodcock pefer second story growth. you state the farm was logged three years ago the cover has just now become what they like.they will return every winter untill the cover becomes too mature. loss of second story under growth is one reason for the species decline. don,t cook the well done and they won,t taste like liver.

2. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

.....due to location. Central Illinois isn't exactly a cornacopia but we do get a few each season IF we happen to hit a migration just right. Few things are as exciting as to be in the "right place at the right time" when a few drop in right at dusk as they wend their way southward.
    Years back I had a little Britt that was a real cracker on Woodcock and Quail and we could hardly wait for the season to open.
    'Doodles surely must be Gods special gift to men who train young bird dogs as they are Natures "set tight" game bird.
    As for tablefare...Quail, Grouse and Woodcock.....who could ask for anything finer?

3. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

if the bills were slightly curved, they were NOT woodcock...

they were probably a snipe or curlew.....actually from memory I think snipe have straight bills as well....

woodcock have straight bills

you saw something other than a woodcock

ps woodcock bills are about as long as the short width of a dollar bill...3"

that is actually how many people determine if it is a male or female...by the length of the bill...any longer than a dollar is wide and it is a female..I think and vise versa...

bob

4. NE OWL

NE OWL Moderator<br>Pennsylvania Forum<br>Youth Forum

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Woodcock are closely related to snipe. I never had the chance to shoot them, but I have shot plenty of snipe. Very sporty fliers, and great table fare.

And as Gadwall52 said, If you do not like the taste of liver, do not over cook them. You want them nice and rare in the center, and they are delicious (at least snipe are), but if over-cooked, they taste very "livery." A very tasty dark meat,,,,,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodcock