Word of he Day, June 12, 2017, Matthew 5:48

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Marty, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Elite Refuge Member

Word of the Day, June 12, 2017

" All hail the power of Jesus’ name! Let angels prostrate fall; bring forth the royal diadem, and crown him Lord of all. Bring forth the royal diadem, and crown him Lord of all. Ye chosen seed of Israel’s race, ye ransomed from the fall, hail him who saves you by his grace, and crown him Lord of all. Hail him who saves you by his grace, and crown him Lord of all.”

Matthew 5:48:

48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

What is the meaning of perfect? Is it that we are perfect, sinless? Are any of us perfect? We all have sinned and come short of the glory of GOD? We all say nobody is perfect or I am getting better at my sin. All excuses that we all have used before or still.

We must remember that sin is the reason Christ died on the cross for us to remove sin from us. Hebrew 2:9: 9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

We all commit sin and need forgiveness. 1 John 1:7-10: 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

The word perfect in the Bible can and does mean complete or finished. Jesus was made perfect through suffering and completing GOD’s plan.

Hebrew 2:10: 10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

Hebrew 5:8-9: 8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; 9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Christ completed or fulfilled GOD’s plan for Him as our Saviour and LORD by suffering for us. However, perfect can also mean mature or grown up. Paul writes to as many as be perfect in Philippians 3:15: 15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

I believe that when Jesus said, “ Be ye therefore perfect even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect ” He is saying to us to let our love be complete as GOD’s love is towards us. Our love as Christians to our fellow man must grow and mature and this includes our enemies also. Jesus commands us to love thy enemies in Matthew 5:44: 44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Colossians 1:28: 28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

Another meaning for perfect is that we are perfect in Christ Jesus. Paul tells us we should aim for perfection as men and woman of Christ. Paul wanted to see each one of us believers to mature spiritually. I will use a sports analogy for my brother Frank today. We must train and work wholeheartedly like an athlete constantly training by studying the Word of GOD, applying it and sharing it with the world one person at a time. Perfecting ourselves, not by our own strength or our own power but through GOD and the Holy Spirit. GOD gives us the energy and knowledge to become mature, perfect.

So today, let’s strive to be perfect in Christ, whether that means to try to stop sinning, to aspire to be as much like Christ as possible, to understand that Christ became perfect suffering in GOD’s plan and for us to become mature in Christ’s Words and our walk with Him today and moving forward each and everyday “ for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for edifying of the body of Christ.” Christ calls all of His disciples to excel, to rise above mediocrity, and to mature in every area, becoming like Him.

“ ’Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus, just to take Him at His Word; Just to rest upon His promise, and to know, “Thus saith the Lord!” Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him! How I’ve proved Him o’er and o’er; Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus! ”

Timothy P. Furness