Word of the Day, April 24, 2017, Matthew 5:13-14

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Marty, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Elite Refuge Member

Word of the Day, April 24, 2017

“ Make me salt. Make me light. Let Your holy fire ignite. Reveal Your glory in my life. I am not ashamed to lift up Your holy name. Make me salt. Make me light.”

Matthew 5:13-14

13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.

14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Yesterday my Pastor reminded us to be “salty” in our sharing of the Gospel and about being the light to people. Pastor spoke from Colossian 4:6 that tells us to 6 Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man. As Christians, we are to be the salt of the earth and to be the light of the world as Christ told us in His Sermon on the Mount.

Salt had a great value in the ancient days. Roman soldiers received some of their pay in salt. The Greeks considered salt to be divine and the Mosaic Law required that the Israelites had salt on every one of their offerings. Leviticus 2:13: 13 And every oblation of thy meat offering shalt thou season with salt; neither shalt thou suffer the salt of the covenant of thy God to be lacking from thy meat offering: with all thine offerings thou shalt offer salt.

Salt’s has many characteristics and one of these is to preserve. As Christians we should help spread the Word of GOD to stop the moral decay of sin that is infecting the world. We are to preserve the Word of GOD in our actions, our walk and our talk.

Mark 9:50 tells us that 50 Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another. We are to be like Salt, good and we should not loose our saltiness. As Christians we are to maintain a personal holiness but also to touch the lives that are all around us in our sphere of influence: home, work, play and even strangers that we come in contact with from day to day.

So how do we be the salt and light? How do we make sure our salt has not lost its savour and that our light for Christ has not gone out? Do we influence those around us because people see Christ in us? In the ancient days, salt would go bad and loose its value as a preservative and they would throw it on the roads after it lost is preserving qualities. Let’s not be thrown away because we have lost our savour for Christ.

We are the salt of the earth, the light of the world if we are believers. Let’s be salty again for the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We need to show people what Christ has done for us, to show them that GOD loves them, to show them as the light of Christ, we are here to love them, to serve them and to share the Word of GOD and to let our light shine for Christ. Become salty again for Christ today.

“ For You are salt and light. You are love's great height. You are deep and wide, a consuming fire. You are salt and light. You are love's great height. You are deep and wide. A consuming fire.”

Timothy P. Furness