Word of the Day, February 6, 2017, Mark 12:28-34

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Marty, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Elite Refuge Member

Word of the Day, February 6 2017

“ Souls in danger, look above, Jesus completely saves, He will lift you by His love, out of the angry waves; He’s the Master of the sea, billows His will obey, He your Savior wants to be, be saved today. Love lifted me! Love lifted me! When nothing else could help, Love lifted me!”

Mark 12:28-34

28 And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all?

29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:

30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

32 And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he:

33 And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.

34 And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any question.

What did Jesus say about love when he was asked by a scribe which of all the commandments was the most important to follow? Jesus referenced the Old Testament with two commandments, one in Deuteronomy 6:5 and one from Leviticus 19:18. Both had to do with love, the love of GOD and the love of thy neighbor. Why is love so important? Christ tells us that all the commandments were given for two simple reasons: to teach and help us to love GOD and each other.

A bit of history about the scribe asking this question. By Jesus’ time, the Jewish law had accumulated 100’s of laws; some history books say 613 of them to be exact. Many religious leaders tried to distinguish between major and minor laws, (not much has changed today) and some taught that all laws were equally binding and will cause us separation from GOD. Jesus answered it and summarized it by saying really one word, Love.

What else did Jesus say about love? The first one is that GOD loves us in John 3:16. We are to love GOD and because GOD loves us, he also cares for us. Jesus tells us that GOD wants everyone to know how much He loves us by taking care of all our needs in Matthew 6:25-34 (a little Bible reading today)

Jesus tells us to love thy enemies and to seek out even those that have alienated us, GOD does why shouldn’t we. Jesus tells us in Matthew 6:24 that GOD must be our first love and that we love GOD when we obey him in John 14:21. Jesus let the world know that He too loved GOD His Father. If we refuse Jesus then we don’t have GOD’s love and that Jesus loves us just as GOD loves Jesus in John 15:9.

Real love, Jesus proved this by dying on the cross for us so that we could have eternal life with Him. Jesus gave us example of perfect love like that which He had between Himself and GOD. Jesus told us that we are to love one another and to demonstrate that love. Jesus wants us to love Him through the good and bad times in Matthew 26: 31-35 and finally Jesus wants our love to be genuine for GOD, Jesus, the Holy Spirit and our neighbors.

Love GOD, Love People, Serve Others and Tell Everyone about the love of Jesus Christ. If you don’t know that kind of love, seek Christ today.

“ O I found grace, at the foot of a rugged cross on Calvary. I found grace with the awesome power to set the captive free. I found grace, sustaining grace. I found grace, redeeming grace, Yes I found grace, fulfilling, indwelling grace, His loving grace. Yes I found grace, Amazing Grace to meet my need.”

Timothy P. Furness

2. Lab Man

Lab Man Moderator Moderator

Amen Brother!!!!

3. Marty

Marty Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for reading and to GOD be the Glory!