Word of the Day, January 15, 2018, Luke 14:11

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Marty, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Marty

Marty Elite Refuge Member

Word of the Day, January 15, 2018

“ The pages of history they tell me it's true that it's never the perfect; it's always the ones with the scars that You use. It's the rebels and the prodigals; it's the humble and the weak, the misfit heroes You chose. Tell me there's hope for sinners like me.”

Luke 14:11

11 For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

In yesterday’s reading of the #word365, one of the chapters I read was the 14th chapter of Luke, (If you get a chance, read the whole chapter today) and this verse stuck out to me and made me think about how un-humble I was before Christ changed my life.

Before Christ, I was the best duck hunter in NY and I was the worst Dad because I was always hunting/working instead of being with my family. I was never in need of money, but I was poor in my walk with Christ and serving my own master. I was willing to give but never willing to help because I was to busy. I was willing to go to church, but never was walking in the Spirit but always in the flesh of what I wanted. I was filled with pride and very little humility. However, let me say that after Christ, all that has changed for GOD’s glory!

Now let me go a bit further. Jesus shares another parable later in Chapter 14. A certain man wanted to have a dinner party with his friends, invited them and they all rsvp back that they could not make it for various reason. One responded with I just bought some land and I need to go see it. The second that he had just bought 5 oxen and he need to check them out. The third had just gotten married and needed to spend time with his new bride.

So then the Master of the house was angry and then said to the servant to go out into the streets and invite and bring to his house the poor, the maimed and the blind. The servant did what his master asked, yet there was still more room so the Master said go out further and get more people.

The point of this story is not to just go to believers to have them over for dinner, but to invited the poor, the maimed, the sick, the prisoners, the people from the other side of the tracks, the lost into our homes for dinner but to tell them about Christ. The example of dinner is really about telling them of Christ’s saving grace and to share the gospel to them and dinner is always good fellowship also. J

Matthew 25: 35-39: 35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: 36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? 38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? 39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

So the question is are we humble enough to share the Gospel of Christ with anyone, or just the ones that look good, act good or someone we can gain something from? Are we willing to feed those that do not have anything? Are we willing to visit the prisoners? Are we willing to help the bum on the street corners or to only help when everyone is watching. Are we willing to give without restrictions or must they follow our rules for us to give to them?

We are to be the Light and Salt of the earth, to show the Gospel of our LORD to everyone, not just in our words but in our actions also. We are to humble ourselves like Christ did on the cross. We are to be the people that show Christ to everyone even if it is not comfortable for us.

So the reason I used Luke 11: 14 today is are we willing to self-examine ourselves? Are we willing to look at ourselves and to see if we are humble enough to give for no reason, to help for no reason, to serve for no reason, to share the Gospel for no reason or gain here, to feed the hungry, to help the poor, to invite people into our lives and homes for no reason, to visit the prisoners, to preach to everyone, to love a fallen brother or sister that has walked away from Christ and to forgive those that have hurt us for no reason? Christ tells us that if we do this for the least of these, we have done it for Him. Let’s start being Christ to the world today. Humble yourself today by touching someone today whether it is with His words or by our actions helping in anyway we can and by showing them the love of Christ and for all His glory.

“ For the prodigal son, Grace wins. For the woman at the well, Grace wins. For the blind man and the beggar, Grace wins. For always and forever, Grace wins. For the lost out on the streets, Grace wins. For the worst part of you and me, Grace wins. For the thief on the cross,
    Grace wins.”

Timothy P. Furness

2. Buffalo Howler

Buffalo Howler Senior Refuge Member

In the chapter much is written about heaven. Too many today think that heaven is a place that has no influence in their earthly life today. Much of what Jesus says about heaven is now. How we live today as Christians is for our reward for the day we arrive home. For some to live a life of "I hope I'll make it" means you have not counted the cost. To be a disciple of Christ means your dead. Dead to the world, the flesh your family, job etc. What you are living is a reflection of heaven here now. Give your life to Jesus and live for him.

3. Marty

Marty Elite Refuge Member

Amen brother David! Our rewards are not here but our crowns in heaven if we are willing to die of self here on this earth and serve His Kingdom and above all, eternal life wit Christ Jesus.