Word of the Day, January 25, 2018, Hebrews 13:15-21

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Marty, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Marty

Marty Elite Refuge Member

Word of the Day, January 25, 2018

“ Then all the archangels, the saints of all time, Holding their crowns in their hands, fall down before Him joining the song: Worthy, worthy the Lamb! Worthy, worthy, Worthy the Lamb that was slain. Praise Him, praise Him, praise the Lamb that was slain.”

Hebrews 13:15-21

15 By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.

16 But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.

17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

18 Pray for us: for we trust we have a good conscience, in all things willing to live honestly.

19 But I beseech you the rather to do this, that I may be restored to you the sooner.

20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,

21 Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Chapter 13 is a great book about exhortations to our various Christian duties. It was written to the Jewish Christians to hold fast to their new faith in Christ. I would like to discuss verses 15-21 today. Paul tells us to continually give praises to GOD with our lips. This letter was written to the Christian Jews that have been saved and his concern was that they were in danger of returning to Judaism. No different today, if we are in the Word, going to church to be preached to, in prayer and to be praising GOD with our lips in song and our speech, it is kind of hard to backslide back to our old ways. Paul writes, By Him, that is Jesus Christ, no more bloody animals but let us bring sacrifice of praise continually for our gift of salvation.

It is amazing to me how much the Bible speaks of doing good for others. Paul tells us that thanksgiving and praise to GOD is not all, but to do good for the kingdom. We are to communicate the love of GOD by words or our action. GOD is pleased with our sacrifices to Him with good deeds to other.

Do we submit to authority within our church? If we believe in GOD, then we believe that GOD has chosen our pastors to lead. We need to pray for them daily asking GOD for a hedge of protection around them and their family. Pastors, Elders, Bishops and Deacons are given the responsibility to guide us towards Christ. Give them this accountability because they will be held accountable one day before Christ.

Paul seems to always be asking for prayer. We should understand the power of prayer. Paul tells us about his uprightness of his new life because of the change from his past as a evil doer against the early Christians. It is easy to go back if we are not in prayer or asking for prayer from other believers.

It is understood that Paul wrote this letter while imprisoned in Rome. What I love about this is that Paul never gave up the preaching and sharing of the love and mercy of Jesus Christ and His gift of salvation no matter where he was, on the road, in front of them in the churches or in prison. We all could learn a lesson from this.

Paul is talking about the everlasting covenant, the Christian Covenant that is not temporary like the Jewish, but is designed to last forever. The blood which is how the new covenant was established and can only make you holy though Jesus Christ.

Verses 20 & 21 include two significant results of Christ’s death and resurrection. GOD works in us to make us the kind of person that can and does please GOD and He then can use us to do the kind of work that will please GOD. We need to let GOD change us from within and then He can use us to help others. LORD, I prayer that all that I do is well pleasing to you.

" God sent His son and they called Him Jesus. He came to love, heal and forgive. He lived and died to buy my pardon. An empty grave is there to prove my Savior lives. Because He lives I can face tomorrow. Because He lives all fear is gone. Because I know He holds the future. My life is worth living just because He lives.

Timothy P. Furness

awaldro7 likes this.