Word of the Day, July 13, 2017, I Corinthians 8:9

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Marty, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Elite Refuge Member

Word of the Day, July 13, 2017

“ You heard my prayer. Hope like the sunlight piercing through the dark. The Prince of peace came and broke into my heart. The violent cross, the empty grave and in Your light I found grace.”

1 Corinthians 8:9

9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.

Last night my Pastor preached on Chapter 8 from 1 Corinthians and we discussed being a stumblingblock for other believers and also I might add to non-believers with our actions, words and deeds.

I would like to share a story that my daughter shared with me this past week. She was talking with a friend and they were talking about swearing and that we, as Christians should not be swearing. Her friend said that she thinks that it is ok and she swears around her friends that do not know Christ so that she can fit in to be able to witness to them in the future because she is just like them.

Can I be blunt and honest? This might be the most stupid thing I have heard in a long time. This young girl knows the Word of GOD and still argues that swearing is good and a way to lead someone to the LORD.

Can I be honest with you again? I have done the same thing in many different ways myself in the past. We try to justify our own sin in one way or another is what it comes down to in my mind.

Over twenty years ago I was picking up my truck from getting it’s spring-cleaning after a long season of duck hunting. I had stop by to pick up my truck before a Wednesday Night Church Service and it was not yet finished so I tipped the young man cleaning it and it was a rather large tip and he felt bad and redid all that he had done and when I got back to the dealership around 9 he was not done yet. I know the owner and many of the people that work at the dealership so as we sat there, they went and got a case of beer and offered me one and I said, ok I will have one.

We were still waiting for my truck to be finished when they offered me a second one and I said ok. As I sat there drinking that second beer, they started ripping me apart for going to church and then sitting with them drinking two beers after church and asked me what type of Christian was I and that they wanted to go to the same church I go to because you can drink after the service and you are going to be ok.

What a fool I was. What a stumblingblock I was for them to see Christ through me. Paul is talking about in Chapter 8 that amongst the brethren being a stumblingblock but this also can be an example for Christians about being a stumblingblock to non-believers too.

As children of GOD, let’s not be a stumblingblock to anyone in our walk, in our talk or in our deeds to anybody. We need to be the light, we need to be like Christ in all that we do and to always be about giving GOD all the Glory in whatever we do. Let people see Christ in us each and everyday.

“ He wraps himself in Light, and darkness tries to hide and trembles at His voice. Trembles at His voice. How great is our God, sing with me. How great is our God, and all will see How great, how great is our God.”

Timothy P. Furness