Word of the Day, July 19, 2017, James 3:8

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Marty, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Elite Refuge Member

Word of the Day, July 19, 2017

“ Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth, Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide; Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow, Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!”

James 3:8

8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

Have you ever tried talking while holding your tongue? It is just noise that comes out of our mouth when we do this. It is not understandable right? This is what we should do more often instead of opening our mouth and speaking with stupid words, hurtful words, mean words, unjust words, words that trigger something that is painful or worthless words.

I’ll hold my tongue and let the Word of GOD speak:

Psalms 10:7: 7 His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and fraud: under his tongue is mischief and vanity.

Matthew 15:11: 11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

Proverbs 21:23: 23 Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles.

Proverbs 26:20: 20 Where no wood is, there the fire goeth out: so where there is no talebearer, the strife ceaseth.

Psalm 34:13: 13 Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile.

Psalm 141:3: 3 Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips.

Proverbs 18:20-21: 20 A man's belly shall be satisfied with the fruit of his mouth; and with the increase of his lips shall he be filled. 21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

Proverbs 17:27-28: 27 He that hath knowledge spareth his words: and a man of understanding is of an excellent spirit. 28 Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

Proverbs 12:6-7: 6 The words of the wicked are to lie in wait for blood: but the mouth of the upright shall deliver them. 7 The wicked are overthrown, and are not: but the house of the righteous shall stand.

Proverbs 12:18-19: 18 There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health. 19 The lip of truth shall be established for ever: but a lying tongue is but for a moment.

So let me paraphrase these verses. We need to shut our mouth. Simple right? That’s me and you also when we speak evil with our tongues.

James writes in the end of Chapter 1 this inspired Words of the Holy Spirit and tells us to be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath because the wrath of man and his tongue work against the righteousness of GOD. He goes on to tell us that we have two ears and one month, so be doers of the word and not just hearers of the word.

As believers of Christ Jesus and bridleth not our tongues that we deceive our own heart and our religion is in vain and that we are to keep our self unspotted from this world. One of the best way to do this is to hold our tongue.

I’ll finish with this Godly wisdom from Solomon: Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

I’m done, I will shut up and hold my tongue now before I get in trouble

“ No condemnation now I dread; Jesus, and all in Him, is mine; Alive in Him, my living Head, and clothed in righteousness divine, Bold I approach th’ eternal throne, and claim the crown, through Christ my own.”

Timothy P. Furness

2. W&W

W&W New Member

Thank you for sharing these truths. Praise God.

3. Marty

Marty Elite Refuge Member

To GOD be the Glory!