Word of the Day, July 3, 2017, Ephesians 2:8-9

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Marty, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Elite Refuge Member

Word of the Day, July 3, 2017

“ O thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand between their loved homes and the war's desolation. Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n rescued land. Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation! Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, and this be our motto: 'In God is our trust.' and the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.”

Ephesians 2:8-9

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

I often hear people describe other people as a good person. They do good things for people, always helping others, a good family man or a good friend that you would want; he is just a good person. I also hear people describe themselves as a good person.

So I’ll ask this question to everyone today. Are you a good person? We are told today in many religions, their teachings are that if we are a good person, maybe following the Ten Commandments, or other belief in other religions or the Golden Rules that being a good person will get us to heaven.

Matthew 19:16-26: 16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? 17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. 18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, 19 Honour thy father nd thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? 21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. 22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions. 23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. 24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. 25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved? 26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Two things to note from these verses are that the young rule was asking the right question to Jesus: “ What good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?” The second thing to note is the disciples saying, “ Who then can be saved? ” Christ’s answer tells it all. “ With men, (that’s you and me) this is impossible.” What can we do to earn eternal life? Nothing. However, with GOD all things are possible by accepting Him into our lives today.

Another thing to note about this young ruler is that he states that he has kept all the commandments since his youth. Guess what, he just broke one of the commandments because none of us, no not one have not sin since birth. We are all sinners and come short of the glory of God.

I could go on with many other messages from these few verses, maybe another WOD soon, however, I do want to say this. If left up to man to be saved, no would ever be saved. Our eternal life is not based upon our good works, being a good person, one our own goodness but only on Christ’s goodness.

So if you are a good person, that is a good trait, but you must be saved by Jesus Christ to be saved. ALL must call upon the Lord, confessing with our mouths that Christ is Lord, confessing and repenting of our sins, that Christ died on the cross for all of our sins, was buried and raised from the dead on the third day. This salvation is an unearned gift from Christ. We cannot earn it not matter how good of a person we believe we are or everybody else think we are. Only through Christ and Christ alone. After salvation, continue being a good person, love, as Christ first loved us to everyone, being the light to someone today and become the best person you can for Christ’s Kingdom. Happy 4th of July to you and your family.

“ God Bless America, Land that I love. Stand beside her, and guide her Thru the night with a light from above. From the mountains, to the prairies, To the oceans, white with foam God bless America, My home sweet home.”

Timothy P. Furness

2. Buffalo Howler

Buffalo Howler Senior Refuge Member

The bewitching of Galations 3.