Word of the Day, June 5, 2017, Genesis 17:17

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Marty, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Elite Refuge Member

Word of the Day, June 5, 2017

“ All I am, I surrender. Give me faith to trust what You say. That you’re good and Your love is great. I’m broken inside. I give You my life.”

Genesis 17:17

17 Then Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, Shall a child be born unto him that is an hundred years old? and shall Sarah, that is ninety years old, bear?

Are we a doubter of GOD plan for us? Many of the people GOD used in the bible to accomplish great things started out as real doubters. With all of them, GOD showed great patience. Honest doubt is not a bad thing or a starting point as long as we do not stay there to long. The question we need to ask is how great a part does doubt have in our willingness to trust GOD?

Ok, could you image laughing at GOD? Abraham did. I can understand that at 100 years old, having a baby might not been on his mind or thoughts for his future and Sarah was 90 years old. Stop and think about this logically. Guess what happened, Sarah had a baby and his name was Isaac.

Exodus 3:10-15: 10 Come now therefore, and I will send thee unto Pharaoh, that thou mayest bring forth my people the children of Israel out of Egypt. 11 And Moses said unto God, Who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh, and that I should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt? 12 And he said, Certainly I will be with thee; and this shall be a token unto thee, that I have sent thee: When thou hast brought forth the people out of Egypt, ye shall serve God upon this mountain. 13 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? 14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. 15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

Moses was told to return to Egypt to lead GOD’s people out of bondage. GOD told him that He would be with Moses all the way through these events. Moses asked GOD, What should I say and who is my GOD. Guess what, GOD told him Moses to say the right thing, I AM THAT I AM. GOD was with him all the way till he delivered the Israelites to the promise land. GOD said He would and He kept His promise.

Exodus 16:1-3: 1 And they took their journey from Elim, and all the congregation of the children of Israel came unto the wilderness of Sin, which is between Elim and Sinai, on the fifteenth day of the second month after their departing out of the land of Egypt. 2 And the whole congregation of the children of Israel murmured against Moses and Aaron in the wilderness: 3 And the children of Israel said unto them, Would to God we had died by the hand of the LORD in the land of Egypt, when we sat by the flesh pots, and when we did eat bread to the full; for ye have brought us forth into this wilderness, to kill this whole assembly with hunger.

If I was an in the same situation as the Israelites were in I might think the same thing. You delivered me from slavery and now I am going to die in the wilderness. However, GOD promises were all delivered. GOD’s protection against their enemies, the water from a rock, manna from the skies everyday, the quail and finally Israel’s own land of milk and honey even after Israel betrayed GOD over and over again.

Luke 1:18: 18 And Zacharias said unto the angel, Whereby shall I know this? for I am an old man, and my wife well stricken in years.

Again, doubt can get you in trouble. Zacharias doubted the angel Gabriel that told him that Elisabeth would bear a son, John the Baptist. His doubt made him dumb and unable to speak. After he finally followed the instructions from Gabriel the angel and named his son John instead of his own name sack, GOD restored his speech.

John 20:24-25: 24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.

Thomas the Doubter was most likely the most famous doubter in the Bible. As I sit here today in my walk with the LORD some 2000+ years later, I often wonder why people did not believe when they had Christ right in front of them. I would think that would easy to do when you spent 3 years with Him everyday and you saw Him perform all those miracles, His teachings and Him telling me that He would die and rise 3 days later and He did. I guess this is what they call faith. Believing without seeing.

We as believer need to be willing to listen when GOD speaks to us. It may not be directly but through another vessel speaking for GOD. If we build our relationship with GOD through pray and His Word, we may sill have some doubt, but with trust and faith in our Father GOD, we can move forward with GOD’s plans for our lives.

“ Though I may not understand all the plans you have for me. My life is in your hands and through the eyes of faint I can clearly see that. God is good all the time. He put a song of praise in the heart of mine. God is good all the time. Through the darkest night, His light will shine. God is good, God is good all the time.”

Timothy P. Furness