Word of the Day, March 23, 2017, Jeremiah 14:7

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Marty, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Elite Refuge Member

Word of the Day, March 23, 2017

“ It's a slow fade when you give yourself away. It's a slow fade when black and white are turned to gray and thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid when you give yourself away. People never crumble in a day, it's a slow fade, it's a slow fade.”

Jeremiah 14:7:

7 O LORD, though our iniquities testify against us, do thou it for thy name's sake: for our backslidings are many; we have sinned against thee.

Ok, I will start first. I have been a backslider before. I knew the Lord when I was 15, but for those that know me, most would say, really? I did, as Tim wanted after knowing Christ and just said I don’t care. I wanted and did what I wanted. Here is the good news; Christ welcomed me back with open arms, filled with His mercies and grace for me. I became a seeker for Him first and I became a seeker for righteousness and became a new man of God. Ok, now your turn.

How do we become backsliders? Most of the time it is because of sin. It starts small and we are still in our minds walking with GOD. Then it begins to grow and we begin a slow fade away from GOD. Then eventually sin takes over our lives and we do not seek Him, read His Word, spend time in prayer, avoid church and other believers, family and friends and we usually get mad at GOD and blame Him for our troubles all while we are hiding our sin from everybody.

The Scriptures are filled with many examples of this thing called backsliding. The Old Testament is full of this with the Israelites. It seems to me as I study the Word of GOD that this is a serious thing.

Jeremiah 2:19: 19 Thine own wickedness shall correct thee, and thy backslidings shall reprove thee: know therefore and see that it is an evil thing and bitter, that thou hast forsaken the LORD thy God, and that my fear is not in thee, saith the Lord GOD of hosts.

Jeremiah 8:9: 9 The wise men are ashamed, they are dismayed and taken: lo, they have rejected the word of the LORD; and what wisdom is in them?

Malachi 3:7: 7 Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return?

Ezekiel 18:24: 24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.

Hosea 11:7: 7 And my people are bent to backsliding from me: though they called them to the most High, none at all would exalt him.

Isaiah 17:10: 10 Because thou hast forgotten the God of thy salvation, and hast not been mindful of the rock of thy strength, therefore shalt thou plant pleasant plants, and shalt set it with strange slips:

Guess what, there is good news. If we deal with our backsliding, our sin honestly and bring before GOD for repentance. GOD promises to forgive.

Hosea 14:4: 4 I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely: for mine anger is turned away from him.

GOD will welcome us back. “ Turn ye unto Him...” “ Oh Jerusalem (insert our name here if needed) wash thine heart from wickedness, that thou mayest be saved…” “ return and seek the LORD their GOD, and shall fear the LORD and His goodness in the later day.” “ If thou will return, saith the LORD, if thou will put away thine abomination out of My site, then shalt thou not remove.” “ I create the fruit of the lips; Peace, peace to him that is far off, and to him that is near, saith the LORD; and I will heal them.”

So the lesson today is to stop the backsliding before we fall off the cliff of sin. Turn back to GOD again or for the first time. Renounce our sins and return to GOD and there is forgiveness and reconciliation. GOD’s Words promise this to us that seek Him in 1 John 1:9: 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. So, lay it at Christ’s feet today.

“ Here at Your feet, I lay my future down. All of my dreams, I give to You now and I find peace, I find peace here at Your feet, I lay my life down. For You my King, You're all I want now and my soul sings! ”

Timothy P. Furness