Word of the Day, March 30, 2017, Matthew 5:5

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Marty, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Elite Refuge Member

Word of the Day, March 30, 2017

“ Jesus, Lover of my soul, Jesus, I will never let you go. You' ve taken me from the miry clay. You've set my feet upon the Rock, and now I know. I love you, I need you, though my world may fall, I' ll never let you go. My Saviour, my closest friend, I will worship you until the very end.”

Matthew 5:5

Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

Meekness: Is an attribute of human nature and behavior. It has been defined several ways: righteous, humble, teachable, and patient under suffering, long suffering, willing to follow gospel teachings; an attribute of a true disciple.

As I read the Word of GOD, I used to skip over words that I did not understand the meaning of and meekness was one of those words. I used to think that if you were meek, that you were weak, no backbone and would do what anybody said to do and not stand up for anything. How wrong I was.

Let’s see what the Bible says about meekness.

Isaiah 11:4: But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked.

Isaiah 29:19: The meek also shall increase their joy in the LORD, and the poor among men shall rejoice in the Holy One of Israel.

1 Corinthians 4:21: What will ye? shall I come unto you with a rod, or in love, and in the spirit of meekness?

How do we approach people? With a rod, a bad attitude, filled with rage or in the spirit of meekness?

Galatians 5:23: Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Ephesians 4:2: With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;

What does meekness look like when it is based upon love and Christ being our example of this?

Colossians 3:12: Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;

I Timothy 6:11: But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.

Ok, this verse is filled with the core words of Christianity: righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience and meekness. I hope I get the point.

Titus 3:2: To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men.

James 1:21: Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

As believers, it is our commission to win souls. How do we accomplish this if we speaking evil, fighting, and filled with naughtiness? (I hated to hear my mom say that I was naughty as a kid.) Showing meekness allows us to save souls.

Psalm 149:4: For the LORD taketh pleasure in his people: he will beautify the meek with salvation.

Zephaniah 2:3: Seek ye the LORD, all ye meek of the earth, which have wrought his judgment; seek righteousness, seek meekness: it may be ye shall be hid in the day of the LORD'S anger.

Psalm 37:11: But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

Psalm 147:6: The LORD lifteth up the meek: he casteth the wicked down to the ground.

GOD promises to the meek, that He will beautify us with salvation. We will be protected from His angry. If we are meek, we shall inherit the earth and be filled with peace. He promises to lift us up and to cast the wicked down.

1 Peter 3:15: But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

Are we ready to answer with meekness and fear? Our answers should be with meekness and we should have the fear of offending GOD is we do not. We must not speak amiss. Is our confession grounded in our hope in Christ Jesus?

So I will finish with these questions. Do others see our hope in Christ? Are we prepared to tell them what Christ has done in our life? Do we do this with meekness and fear? I will bring it back to where we started today. Meekness: Righteous, humble, teachable, and patient under suffering, long suffering, willing to follow gospel teachings; an attribute of a true disciple. Share Christ with someone today.

“ I Will Celebrate. I will celebrate, sing unto the Lord, sing to the Lord a new song. I will celebrate, sing unto the Lord, Sing to the Lord a new song. Hallelujah! ”

Timothy P. Furness