Word of the Day, May 15, 2017, Nehemiah 2:4

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Marty, May 15, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Elite Refuge Member

Word of the Day, May 15, 2017

“ I am redeemed, You set me free So I'll shake off these heavy chains, wipe away every stain, now I'm not who I used to be. I am redeemed, I'm redeemed.”

Nehemiah 2:4

4 Then the king said unto me, For what dost thou make request? So I prayed to the God of heaven.

As I traveled for my job last week in Charlotte NC I get to spend 11 hours of driving down and 11 hours of driving back home with GOD. This affords me a lot of windshield time with GOD in conversation and prayer, praising Him in song and thanking Him for all that I have and to enjoy His creation as I drive.

I was meeting with my boss in regards to some important decisions that needed to be made for new products and services and how to move His Company forward. I prayed for Him, His Company, that he might know Christ and that the Holy Spirit would lead me with the right words to show Him the saving Grace from our LORD and Saviour.

This led me to remember Nehemiah and how he worked GOD’s plan and how he was able to plan his work and work his plan and rebuild a wall in 52 days because he prayed and followed GOD’s Words.

The Book of Nehemiah is a great book to show how prayer works. Nehemiah had a relationship with GOD that we could learn from. Nehemiah was a man of character, persistence and fervent prayer. I think one of the lessons that we can learn from Nehemiah is the first step of any venture is to pray. I believe that he shows us that there are two steps to real service for GOD, to talk with Him and to be walking with Him.

Let me share a few examples of Nehemiah’s prayers to GOD.

Nehemiah 1:4-11; After receiving the bad news about the state of the city of Jerusalem’s and the walls, he recognized GOD’s holiness and asked for a hearing, he confessed his sins, he fasted, mourned and prayed for days. What was accomplished with Nehemiah’s pray was that GOD was included in his plans and concerns. He prepared his heart and gave GOD room to work.

Nehemiah 2:4; He prayed for the king’s permission to go to Jerusalem to rebuild the wall and to say the right things to the king. His pray was GOD, can you help me and he put the expected results into GOD’s hands.

Nehemiah 4:4-5; Nehemiah was taunted, ridiculed and mocked by Tobiah and Sanballat. Do you know what Nehemiah’s response was? It was not to get mad and fight back, but to turn to GOD and to give it all to Him. He said they are mocking you GOD. You decide what you do with them and GOD I am upset and mad, but I am not going to take matters into my own hands.

Nehemiah 4:9; Nehemiah prays after threats from his enemies. He prays to GOD and said, “ We are in your hands.” He trusted GOD but was yet prepared to go to battle if needed. We need to trust GOD even when taking precautions.

Nehemiah 5:19; “ Think upon me, my GOD, for my good.” Nehemiah was reflecting on his efforts and desire to serve GOD. What are our motives to serve GOD? Pure or an agenda? As a servant or as someone that wants all the credit. Will our actions today be done with the purpose of pleasing GOD?

Nehemiah 6:9; He ask, “ O LORD GOD, please strengthen my hands.” He showed his reliance on GOD for emotional and mental stability. How often do we ask GOD for help when under pressure?

Nehemiah 13:29; Nehemiah was reflecting on the actions of his enemies. He asked GOD to deal with the enemies and their evil plans against Nehemiah. With prayer, Nehemiah asked GOD to take away the compulsion to get revenge and to totally entrust justice to GOD and not us. We need to settle our desire for revenge by turning the matter over to GOD.

Nehemiah was a brilliant planner, organizer and a great motivator. Under his leadership, the wall around Jerusalem was rebuilt in 52 days. Nehemiah as a political leader, he led the nation to religious reform and a spiritual awakening.

He has shown us many lessons that we could apply to our daily life. The first step is to pray, the next step is to pray during the event and the last step is to pray at the end to thank GOD for all that He has done. Nehemiah was a great example that people under the direction of GOD can accomplish impossible tasks.

I’ll finish with this verse from Nehemiah 2:18; “ Then I told them of the hand of my GOD which was good upon me; as also the king’s words that he had spoken unto me. And they said, Let us rise up and build. So they strengthened their hands for this good work.” All things are possible with pray unto the Father GOD.

“ To know you is never worry for my life, and to know you is to never to give in or compromise. To know you is to want to tell the world about you. Cause I can't live without you.”

Timothy P. Furness