Word of the Day, November 7, 2017, John 10:11

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Marty, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Elite Refuge Member

Word of the Day, November 7, 2017

“ Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God. Oh, it chases me down, fights 'til I'm found, leaves the ninety-nine. I couldn't earn it. I don't deserve it. Still You give yourself away. Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God.”

John 10:11

11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

I love to see how the Word of GOD uses the first time the word is used and it sets the meaning or an example of this world as a name for Christ. In Genesis 4:2 it says: “ And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep.” Abel brought a lamb, the firstlings of his flock and the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering. Christ is called the Lamb of GOD, the Sacrificial Lamb. The offering of a pure white lamb was a picture of Christ and the sacrifice that GOD made of His son Christ Jesus.

Then, after Christ comes to the earth as a man, He is also called the Good Shepherd that will and does giveth His life for His sheep, His flock, us as believers. We see the Good Shepherd with His blood on the cross for us, His flock, for our sins, past, present and future. The blood of Christ still speaks since His death, today and until His second coming.

I was given a message from a dear brother in Christ from Charles Spurgeon: “ The blood of Jesus has a mighty tongue and the import of its prevailing cry is not vengeance but mercy. It is precious beyond all preciousness to stand at the alter of our Good Shepherd! To see Him bleeding there as the slaughtered priest and then to hear His blood speaking peace to all His flock, peace in our conscience, peace between Jew and Gentile, peace between man and his offended Maker, peace all down the ages of eternity for blood washed men. Abel is the first shepherd in order of time, but our hearts shall ever place Jesus first in order of excellence. Thou great Keeper of the sheep, we the people of Thy pasture bless Thee with our whole hearts when we see Thee slain for us.”

Luke 15:1-7: 1 Then drew near unto him all the publicans and sinners for to hear him. 2 And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them. 3 And he spake this parable unto them, saying, 4 What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it? 5 And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing. 6 And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost. 7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

If you do not know Christ, these verses tell us that He wants us no matter what we have done. You are that one sheep that the Good Shepard wants to find and layeth you on His shoulders and is rejoicing when you finally come home to Christ.

As believers, we should stop and think about Christ, the shed blood of the Lamb of GOD and the Good Shepherd that died on the cross at Calvary. We should fall on our faces to give Him all the glory, the praise, our complete heart and all the love we have within ourselves for GOD the Father and Christ Jesus our LORD and Saviour. Do we even understand the love that GOD has for us by giving of His Son’s blood to wash away our sins? Please take a moment today and just thank GOD for this gift that He gave to us through Christ Jesus, when He came to find us as that one lost sheep.

“ There is a redeemer, Jesus, God's own Son. Precious Lamb of God, Messiah, Holy One, Jesus my redeemer. Name above all names. Precious Lamb of God, Messiah. Oh, for sinners slain.”

Timothy P. Furness