Word of the Day, October 11, 2017, 1 Thessalonians 5:11-25

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Marty, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Elite Refuge Member

Word of the Day, October 11, 2017

“ I come to the garden alone, while the dew is still on the roses; and the voice I hear, falling on my ear, the Son of God discloses. And He walks with me, and He talks with me, and He tells me I am His own; and the joy we share as we tarry there, None other has ever known.”

I Thessalonians 5:11-25

11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.

12 And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you;

13 And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves.

14 Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.

15 See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.

16 Rejoice evermore.

17 Pray without ceasing.

18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

19 Quench not the Spirit.

20 Despise not prophesyings.

21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

25 Brethren, pray for us.

I would call this a checklist for encouragers. Another great name would be Paul’s Bullet Points for Christians. We are commanded to “encourage” others. This is throughout the bible. (Hebrews 10:23-25, 1 Peter 4:8-10, Ephesians 4:29, Colossians 3:16, Hebrews 3:13) Paul gives us many examples of how we can encourage others in verses 11-24.

He tells us to build each other up by telling others that you appreciate them, to edify each other. Verse 12 tells us to honor our leaders and to look for ways to cooperate with them. Verse 13 tells us to show our leaders great respect and to say thank you to the leaders for their efforts and to live peacefully together.

Verse 14 tells to warn the unruly, to encourage the timid, to help the weak and to be patient. In verse 15 we are to resist revenge. Instead of planning our “get even” scheme, we should plan our “ do good for them” plan.

In verse 16, Paul tells us to be joyful, rejoice and to remember even in the midst of a trial or turmoil in our lives, GOD is in control. We should try hard to apply to our lives by praying without ceasing for our brothers and sisters in the LORD told to us in verse 17. This one should be at the top of our Encouragement Checklist.

Paul continues with instructions in verse 18, in everything, give thanks. Thank GOD for each gift that GOD has given to us. We can even go one step further and to give thanks for our brothers and sisters in Christ and their gifts. Verse 19 tells us to not stifle the Holy Spirit. Listen and react to what the Spirit is telling you. Verse 20 tells us not to despise at prophecies and this should mean to us to receive GOD’s words from those that speaking them to us.

Paul is clear in verse 21 to prove all things through the Word and to hold fast to the Word of GOD. In verse 22, we are told to abstain from every kind of evil and we need to avoid situations where we will be drawn into temptation.

Finally in verses 23 and 24, Paul tells us to count on GOD’s constant help. To realize that the Christian life is to be lived not in our strength but through GOD’s power.

Paul finished the book of 1 Thessalonians with this. “ I charge you by the LORD that this epistle be read unto all the holy brethren. The grace of our LORD Christ be with you. Amen.”

I would like to encourage you to read Chapter 5 today, Next time you see your brothers or sisters in Christ, encourage them and give thanks and all the glory to GOD for them and for having them in your life in the past, present and in the future. Tell them you love them and praying for them, their family and their ministries. I would even suggest that instead of telling them you are going to pray for them (still do this), stop right there and reach out and touch them and start praying right then and there.

“ What a fellowship, what a joy divine, leaning on the everlasting arms! What a blessedness, what a peace is mine, leaning on the everlasting arms! Oh how sweet to walk in this pilgrim way, leaning on the everlasting arms!”

Timothy P. Furness

bsr1 likes this.