Working in Anchorage

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by Blackbart, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Blackbart

Blackbart Elite Refuge Member

What's up y'all I'm working in Anchorage this week and wanted to say het. I'll be hittingthe Bush Co and Humpys of course. Saw a bunch of mallards in Ship Creek today what's up with that??? No short stopping those birds, it's only 15 degrees and they still haven't flown south!!!! No wonder we didn't see any birds in Wa this year.

2. meathunter

meathunter Senior Refuge Member

make sure you try the halibut tacos at Humpys! Mmmm...

I could live on halibut.. and beer.

3. northern wings

northern wings Elite Refuge Member

We ahve Mallards and a couple pair of Common Mergs. that stay on the Chena River up here all winter..-45 below and all that is a tough duck.

-northern wings

4. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

When I lived in Fai we had 3 great days of hunting and then some years they be gone-- if lucky we'd get a few more days at Minto Flats when Northern birds flew through while we were hunting moose. Goose hunting at Cold Bay was great and in old days Northway had lots of ducks and Delta crop land had some fair goose and crane shoots.
    Other than than that we'd shoot some birds on Tanana, Novi, Yuki, and Koyokuk Rivers when hunting moose and bear. always tried to get in on Spring hunts at Minto but was of wrong ancestry!! Got into trouble one time when driver was too intent on birds and we went onto sand bar in Tanana River for about 6 hours. good thing we had all manner of winches, come alongs, etc to get us off again.

5. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

Have some great memories of being stuck on sandbars on the Tanana and other various rivers. I'm sure to have more. When you get a 2500lb inboard jet boat stuck, they are stuck. Four or so hours of sweat and cussing, and your ready to do it again. The joys or river running in AK.

6. wigeonmeister

wigeonmeister Elite Refuge Member

Those ducks you see on Ships Creek stay here pretty much all year long. They will stay around what open areas of water they can find for most of the day, but they go to places where folks congregate (Bean's Cafe is one such place) where folks will feed them.

I occasionally take old bread up there to feed them when I am dropping off food for the food bank. You never truly appreciate how selfish ducks can get until you dump a loaf bread out on the ground and watch them go nuts over it in the dead of winter.

7. wigeonmeister

wigeonmeister Elite Refuge Member

Meathunter,

I hear what you are saying about halibut. I absolutely love that stuff. You oughta try it Cajun blackened sometime if you haven't already.

8. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

Hit coots (find the big windmill) for happy hour. $1 pizza and beer. And make sure you call the Ptargiman.