Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

working time on prepped bird skin

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by aythyafanatic04, Feb 22, 2017.

1. aythyafanatic04

aythyafanatic04 New Member

Hey guys. I am new to this forum and not very familiar with it but trying to get some info from different people with experience working with waterfowl. I have been mounting my own birds for the last 6 months, learned the basics of the process from a Joe Ferebee video I ordered and have pieced together and figured out the rest on my own but I have a lot of questions since I haven't had the opportunity to work underneath anyone who knows what they're doing. I will post another thread with a different pressing question I have but this one has to do with break time between prepping and mounting a bird. I find that once I have taken the time to do a good job skinning and fleshing a bird it is tough to go straight into mounting it without getting frustrated and it really helps to take a break and sometimes I don't even have 8 hours in a day to complete the whole process. I was wondering in general once you prep a skin if you would ever freeze it and mount it later (have done it a couple times and it seemed to have worked out fine) or how long you would let a prepped skin sit out before putting it on the form. Any knowledge you can offer would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

No problem with putting it back in the freezer and working on it at a later date. Best would be to skin/flesh/wash/rinse and then put in a Ziploc "wet" and re-freeze to keep the skin from getting dry if it stays in the freezer longer than you planned. I do this every week. I try to skin/flesh/wash as many birds as I can on Monday/Tuesday and spend the rest of the week mounting. Skins go into a Ziploc and back in the freezer. I thaw them out in warm water while I prep the bodies/paint heads, etc... If you know you are going to get to it the next day, putting it in a refrigerator is fine too.

3. aythyafanatic04

aythyafanatic04 New Member

If its tried and true for you then I believe I will start doing the same. It makes sense that freezing the skin would lock in the moisture while its frozen but I didn't know if other people did the same thing. Thanks a lot for sharing.