Worm Size??????

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by GoldenBB, Feb 8, 2003.

1. GoldenBB

GoldenBB Elite Refuge Member

I don't get it? WHat's the deal with size?? Is my worm too small. I never seem to get the real good hard bite! Do you guys with the big worms reall do better??? I s it worth switching up to a bigger worm???????

Please help
    bb

2. IZZY-SANE

IZZY-SANE Senior Refuge Member

BB,
    I've caught largemouth up to 12 pounds using 6in.worms, and have caught 1/2 pound fish on 10in. worms. As A general rule in the areas where i fish, the smaller baits get you more bites, and the larger worms get you fewer bites but larger fish. Some guys i know fish with 12 in. worms .....sometimes they only get one or two bites all day on these, but they catch some braggin size fish. What size you use depends on whether you want to catch lots of fish or just one really big one.

3. cball

cball Guest

I use 6 and 7 in. worms most of the time but sometimes I'll go down to 4in...

4. dcbassman

dcbassman Elite Refuge Member

Carl-
    I've caught some of my biggest bass on 4" hand poured Kalin's rigged on an 1/8 oz mushroom head jig. Don't get discourage with the small worm! Keep at it.

5. robbob980

robbob980 Senior Refuge Member

I go with the 4" and 6" worms depending on the cover situation. I have less trouble in thick weeds with the 4" worm. Fish size really depends on where I fish here in SW Idaho.

6. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like a personal problem to me. I have a really big worm that gets bit fairly regularly. Good luck....you will need it!!

7. jatkinson

jatkinson Senior Refuge Member

The real secret is getting into the tight cover where not everrybody and thier brother has been.
    If your worm is too big and you don't offer the right presentation you will scare everything away.

8. cold beer

cold beer Senior Refuge Member

MO-south of where the best beer in the world is br
    lol, that's what she said! 7.5 in culprit will do the trick

9. Thunderduck

Thunderduck Senior Refuge Member

Something else to consider is that if you are fishing large and deep clear lakes at daytime, then 6" or smaller is the order of the day. I suspect Minnesota has shallow lakes which probably needs 6" and up. For night fishing, always fish big worms.

This all applies to largemouth bass primarily.

10. sacha szymczak

sacha szymczak Elite Refuge Member

I use a fairly large worm, and try my best to fish very tight areas that are devoid of any vegitation for best results, I now have a "honey hole" that produces quite regularly when my worm is dangled in the waters.I dont think I will need to test my worm in any other waters for a long time since the fish'n is so good in this little body of water!
    Then again there is the few that say

Its not the size of the worm, its how you wiggle it!!

:l :l :l