Worst Eating Duck

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Jim Dandy, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Elite Refuge Member

What is the worst tasting duck you have ever tried to eat? Growing up we never ate divers. As a kid all our ducks were roasted whole in a hot, hot oven. Or BBQ'd. We never cooked them any other way. As a result I only ate sprig, teal, mallard and the occasional wigeon. Other people had breasts made into sausage and such but we never did. In my current advanced years I've tried a couple "lousy" ducks. Spoonies, bluebills and even a buffie once. I don't cook those whole anymore. I've made gumbo, stews, and of course braise in tomato sauce. I make a lot of sausage, but don't get into other preparations of duck much.

What is the worst of the worst for you? I'm not counting coots because they are not ducks. Anyone ever eaten a goldeneye? Scoter? How bad can it get?

Dandy

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Scoter. Ate one. Never again. I ate 1.2 and made jerky from other 1/2. Stunk up my smoker.

3. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

I try not to shoot what I don't eat, therefore spoondogs get a pass,,,,most the time.
    My hunt companions eat the heck out of them, I don't get it. Maybe it's the cigars and whiskey?
    Divers, no thanks. Ketchup can only do so much.
    Surprisingly I eaten few ringers lately that were pretty good, horseradish is mandatory though.
    Justin shot a Goodale buck a few years back that would make your stomach turn. We ate the horns lol.

4. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

Gadwall

Tough n sinewy

Not a fan. Actually enjoy rice fed spoons too

5. Pastor

Pastor Senior Refuge Member

Maybe I'm just weird but I've never tried a duck i didn't like. I eat whatever I shoot. Busted a merganser and everyone told me it would be awful. Grilled it on the George Forman with a blue bill and enjoyed both. I brushed it with teriyaki a little and ate it with a backed potato. It was probably my least favorite but I still liked it. Teal are my favorite though.

6. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

Years ago I killed a bunch of scoter at bodega bay while we were camping. My mom roasted them while we were out fishing later on, came back to camp and could smell them things cooking from 100 yards away...The whole camp was wondering what that smell was....I think my dad wanted to sell the trailer..my god them things are nasty.

I once had a bunch of goldeneye mixed in with puddle ducks for sticks.. I could tell which ones had the "eyes" in it..nasty...

I had a mallard once that was just about the nastiest duck I have ate.... or tried to eat

So to answer your question it would be scoter...

7. fishdog

fishdog Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Honkers hands down. I've never even shot a diver. They could be worse. Maybe.

8. black&blueshoulder

black&blueshoulder Elite Refuge Member

I've eaten many lower quality waterfowls.

Worst are goldeneye, scoter, mergs and bay honks.

Then bufflehead

Then scaup

Then anything that's spent some time feeding the south bay

Coach_quack and freefall like this.
  9. oneshot maybe

oneshot maybe Elite Refuge Member

The worst tasting ducks are the one's that got tossed while cleaning them cause of the smell. Goldeneye's aren't bad. My buddy had me try one to demonstrate this. Coots are surprising good though they stink. I wouldn't eat anything that's eating fish and once I shot some mallards off of a cattle pond. OMG, never again!

10. oneshot maybe

oneshot maybe Elite Refuge Member

Of course, our goldeneye's come off of the river, not salt water.