Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Worth my time????

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by calstefanko, Mar 6, 2017.

1. calstefanko

calstefanko Senior Refuge Member

Want to go on a guided snow goose hunt in SD or Missouri, the weather is supposed to get below freezing and want to know if the hunting will even be good. If so what guides to look at?

2. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Unless they have a cancellation the good guides will be booked up. The rest are sketchy at best. They will enjoy taking your money however.

3. i_willie12

i_willie12 Elite Refuge Member

Yeah All guides should be booked by now!! I wouldn't be hunting in MO right now All the birds have pushed through this state!

4. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

We got back Sunday from NW Mo and after 5 days finished with around 70% still being adults.

5. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

You can still do good in NW Missouri. Nebraska could be good as well in the right location. South Dakota would probably get you the most as far as seeing birds and thus maybe the most chances of shooting.

6. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Refuge Member

Hunted our farm in NW Missouri Wed 3/1-Sun 3/5. Shot 36 on 3/1, 20 on 3/2, 18 on 3/3, 5 on 3/4 and 0 on 3/5. We literally saw maybe 2-300 birds on Saturday and saw only 1 snow Sunday morning. There will likely be some good shoots to come but it is getting more and more difficult as we progress into March. It seems unbelievable to me after 10+ years hunting in the area that we are at or near the end. We have almost always had good hunting until at least mid March and often times into late March. I'm hoping we continue to get a trickle of young birds into the area.

For those that say they are seeing and only shooting adult birds I think some may be mis-diagnosis. We killed a lesser snow goose last Wednesday that was double banded in July 2016 (too young to fly) and it was almost pure white (metal and plastic band which was pretty cool). I'm assuming it was hatched earlier and/or there is some genetics that drive the coloration but I think what we saw last week was non-breeders that by definition are typically gray or mottled brown/gray. I don't think all the "adults" are really adults at all.............just early hatches and/or young non-breeding 1-3 years olds. Many of which are "white".

I think there are still birds hanging on the line in Iowa and Southern SDand hopefully will get pushed back slightly with this cold snap coming up North. I talked to a guy in SD that said geese were roosting on frozen lakes still up there. If they get another snow and cold snap maybe they will push back and give us another go at them.

Good luck

7. Cliner

Cliner Senior Refuge Member

Try getting ahold of Kyle at banded gand'r outfitters. They hunt on my neighbor's field, they've been consistently killing geese, even yesterday after the big storm.

8. Lowell stewart

Lowell stewart New Member

Looking to hunt around Maryville mo this weekend have a couple fields just south of the Iowa boarder. Just seeing if anyone knows if there is any birds around still?

9. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Yes, still birds around. Squaw count was 27k yesterday. Not huge numbers but late in the migration they get scattered all over. If you are trying to traffic birds might be a tough go depending on where you are at. The guys hunting directly in line with a concentration of birds (directly North or around Squaw) are likely reaping the rewards of the younger birds that arrive and leave each day.

I'm headed down tomorrow afternoon to our Farm in NW Missouri. I live in Des Moines and go through the Maryville area on my trek down. Will try to report tomorrow afternoon what I'm seeing.

Good luck.

10. Lowell stewart

Lowell stewart New Member

Thank you much appreciated. First year out on my own still going threw some growing pains.