Would you mind if a beginner asked a bunch of stupid questions?!?!

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by Canaduck, Mar 16, 2001.

1. Canaduck

Canaduck Elite Refuge Member

Hi guys!

I have fished ever since I was very little but not seriously! Basically, I have always just thrown on a lure and hoped for the best. I'm going to get a little more serious and have a lot of questions but don't want to bother you with a bunch of beginner questions if you don't want to answer them!

Let me know if you guys mind and I'll start off with these!

What is the best book on walleye fishing out there?

Why use a spinning reel compared to a baitcasting reel(I have always used a baitcasting reel)?

And, what is the best tackle box on the market?

Thanks!

[ 03-16-2001: Message edited by: Canaduck ]

2. Mossy

Mossy Moderator Moderator

Hey Canaduck I won't mind answering any question you have, (we all have questions) but my answers will be opions, hope you won't mind.

First question on walleyes. I don't fish for them to often, but if I have questions I refer to the In-Fishermen mag's. I fish mainly for Bass.

Second question on spinning reels. They will let you fish lighter lines and lures. I use both bait casting and spinning. The spinning reels are spooled with line from 8lb to 4lb test. I love the light line.

Third question on tackles. This will depend on want you need it for.

I may not have answered them correctly but again that is all an opion. Feel free to ask more.

3. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

Canaduck: There are NEVER any "stupid" questions from beginners...but sometimes some stupid answers. Here's my choices on your questions:

1. Al Lindners In Fisherman on Walleyes.

2. The spinning outfit with throw smaller lures much farther and is usually much more "sensitive". They can be a real pain throwing into the wind as they tend to loop the line back around the spool if your cast is too high and gets stopped before it starts dropping.

3. Tackles boxes come in all sizes and capacities. For the Bait Caster I only have one (a rather small, modest size) but I fish with a Flyrod 98% of the time. I have about 10 different Fly boxes and 3 vests... each one organized for the fish I'm going after.
    (Bass, Trout, Panfish)

4. The only way any of us learned was by asking and trying. I like your posts and the pictures you put up. For a young man your age you are mighty interesting to read.

4. High Velocity

High Velocity Senior Refuge Member

Canaduck

- I haven't read much other than In-Fisherman, mostly just trial and error and ask at local baitshops.

- I do alot of trolling artficials after dark and prefer spinning in all applications due to the fact that personally all I have to do is look at a baitcaster and it backlashes. I use baitcasters for Muskie & Bass fishing so far. I am going to try baitcasters more this year for walleyes.This is a matter of comfort and personal preference though.

- I prefer the soft-sided tackle boxes with the individual containers. I have many different ones(containers) for different species and on a given day I grab the ones I'm going to need and put them in the soft side & leave the left behind. I usually leave back the ones for the fish that are actually biting though!!

5. NebHunter

NebHunter Guest

Canaduck- The other guys gave really good advice on all your questions. I would get my self some stowaways if I were you. It helps you keep your baits more organized and if your fishing for one particular speices then you can throw in the stowaways that you'll need for that type of fish.

6. ASTRO

ASTRO Senior Refuge Member

Canaduck - There are alot of good book/mags out there but the best one that I found is made by the in-fisherman people. It is a mag that comes about every 2 months called the Walleye-insider. It is just about walleyes and has lots of good info for rivers and lakes.

Casting rods are good for crankbaits and bottem bouncers but as far as useing jigs and lindy rigs a spinning rod will give you better line control and feel of what is going on with your presentation.

I have yet to find a tackle box that fits all my needs so I have no idea on that one.

Good luck.
    ASTRO

7. Krappie

Krappie Senior Refuge Member

Hi Canaduck,
    Glad to see you're getting more involved with fishing and you've taken the first step into becoming a better fisherman...asking questions. No matter how trivial your question may seem to you it is often a very good question and other folks will often learn from answers. This forum is very much like the Main Refuge Forum in which everyone is very cordial and kind with answers and comments. So feel free to ask any questions, and as you can see...alot of knowledgable fishermen have given good answers.

First of all, everyone is right on the money about picking up literature up for fishing walleyes. In-Fishermen, Fishing Facts, etc..and even some message boards on the internet have some great information. Try to get your hands on as much publications as you can, and you'll find that you'll become more successful. I read everything that I can get my hands on for fishing and hunting. I learn something new everytime I read an article. Oh yeah I almost forgot. Infishermen has a series of books that target specific species such as Bass, Pike, Catfish and Walleyes. Check out their website: http://www.in-fisherman.com/ and I believe you should be able to order it from there or get one of their magazines and the order information is also in it.

Everyone pretty much summed up the reason of using a baitcaster vs. a spinning rod. I like using spinning rods for walleye since they are very finicky and will often drop the bait if any resistence is felt when they grab the bait. I'll clic the bail open and hold onto the line in my hand. This will allow me to feel any soft pickups. Plus, I'll be able to feed line out to the fish until it's totally engulfed without placing unwanted pressure. Clic the bail, reel up the slack and jack some jaw.

My vote for a tackle box is definitely the soft side tackle boxes with the Plano Stowaway system. Ample room, excellent organization, and won't make the noise like the hard plastic tackle boxes.

[ 03-18-2001: Message edited by: Krappie ]