Would you protect others with your cc gun?

Discussion in 'World News / Current Events Forum' started by joe117, Apr 1, 2008.

1. rahma

rahma Senior Refuge Member

Glad you are enjoying it Joe :p

2. clindsayrun

clindsayrun Refuge Member

Just imagine the liability you're putting yourself in. An LEO can't even act on duty without having to worry about being sued by the perp or their family. And LEO's are generally covered by Color of Law and personal Law Enforcement Liability Insurance. If you act with your ccp you most likely are going to sign your house over to the bad guys family.

3. joe117

joe117 Elite Refuge Member

I'm still wondering what would have happened if some citizen had shot Officer White while he was pumping rounds into the car with the woman and child in the front seat.

Seriously, it could have happened........ And the case could be made that, by taking out Officer White, the citizen saved the life of the woman and child.

Heck.... Even another LEO from the next town might have shot Officer White.
    The shooting must have looked very much like a domestic argument.

4. Water_Hazard

Water_Hazard Elite Refuge Member

This didn't happen. Could it have been obvious to the average citizen that Officer White was the one in danger?

The shooting must have looked very much like a domestic argument.

Nobody intervened so officer White must have looked like the victim?

5. Water_Hazard

With the info you have from the media, are you saying that you would have shot Officer White right there on the spot?

6. joe117

WWJD?

What would joe do?

Ok, none of us was there so your guess is as good as mine as to what the thing looked like as it was happening.

But I picture Officer White standing somewhere in front of the woman's car shooting into the front window.

I don't picture Officer White as being charged by an oncoming car because I seem to remember one of the press releases saying her car was backed against a curb. She says she was in reverse.

But just for the question… Let’s say Officer White was in danger from the car coming right at him.
    He pulls his gun and starts shooting.

If I didn’t know he was a cop, and I saw him shooting at a woman and child rather than getting out of their way, I don’t believe that my first thoughts would be that this was an off duty cop defending himself.

I would probably think it was an estranged husband or boyfriend trying to kill the woman.

This assumption on my part would be based on what seems to be a common crime. “Woman gunned down by estranged husband”

If I had a gun I might just decide to stop the apparent murder in progress.

I ask you… Would you let a man shoot a woman and child?

7. Water_Hazard

But just for the question

The question was pretty easy. I didn't ask to make up a scenario. I just wanted to know is : with the info you have would you have shot officer white? A simple yes or no would answer that question.

Check one:

YES

NO

8. Water_Hazard

Would I know the man was shooting at a woman and child?
    Would the man know that he was shooting at a woman and child?
    Was there a child on board bumper sticker on the car?
    Was the child even in view?
    Was the man purposely trying to take out a woman and child?

I wouldn't knowingly let a man shoot a woman and child.

Question doesn't relate to this case because there is too many unknowns. I could say "I picture this", or "It seems like this" or "if I had to guess" or "I would speculate"... but that would not necessarily give a correct answer for this case.

9. joe117

The question was pretty easy. I didn't ask to make up a scenario. I just wanted to know is : with the info you have would you have shot officer white? A simple yes or no would answer that question.

Check one:

YES

NO

With the info I have right now...No I wouldn't have shot him.
    The main bit of information I have now that would prevent me from acting to prevent the killing the woman and child would be that the shooter is a cop.

If you didn’t know the shooter was a cop would you have thought that the woman and child needed help?

10. joe117

Question doesn't relate to this case because there is too many unknowns. I could say "I picture this", or "It seems like this" or "if I had to guess" or "I would speculate"... but that would not necessarily give a correct answer for this case.

Yeah.... I know that it isn't possible to say what this event looked like from the sidelines.