Would you rather?

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by kodyb, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

What :eek: Are you crazy... I bet you like chicken better than beef as well.

I am kidding of course, but I do MUCH prefer eating ducks/dove to pheasant/quail.

If I had to choose it would be waterfowel. I enjoy the calling, watching the birds work, the early morning sunrises with the anticipation of working ducks.

AND, physically, I will be able to duck hunt a lot longer than I will be able to upland hunt. Furthermore, it is much more difficult to find decent places to upland hunt for me (I am in a decent duck club).

Butt (a little pun intended), I love cornering a huge covey of quail in a big rock pile. Seeing those little sh*** running on the hill in front of me, and trucking up there to get a couple of them. Having my dog flush a perfect split pair of quail, and making a nice double (does not happen often enough).

With all that being said, if you gave me a choice today of going on a good Duck/goose hunt or a good Quail/Chuckar hunt.... I would do the upland, because I get less oportunity to do that type of hunting.

2. Waders

Waders Elite Refuge Member

Squaller, how can you beat fried pheasant? It doesn't get any better!

3. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

OOH... I beg to differ.

Try breading some duck... sear each side, then let it simmer in wine/vinager for a couple of minutes (DO NOT OVERCOOK!) :tu

Much better than that chicken wanna-be, fried up.

Of course you are talking to someone who loves lamb over beef, and will eat chicken... if that is my only option.

However, I have friends who love pheasant, and will kill for wild turkey. Several years ago I traded a buddy (who drove an hour and a half to make the trade) an un-cleaned wild turkey, for fresh abalone. I would make that trade again, in a heart-beat.

4. Puddle Rat

Puddle Rat Elite Refuge Member

Hopefully I'll find out the difference in Phesant compared to my beloved duck recipies :z :z

5. twospots

twospots Elite Refuge Member

Ya'll er makin me hungry!

6. autofive

autofive Senior Refuge Member

This is such a hard question. Normally, I would say ducks. That is the first thing I did with my dad when I got in contact with him again after 8 years. I like the length of waterfowl season (0ct-Jan).

Grouse hunting has been growing on me the last couple of seasons. Last spring I got a GSP. On a walk the other morning he went on a pretty point on a hen pheasant. I am really excited to see him work the birds. It will mostly be ruffed and blue grouse. Pheasants in this state suck unless you have access to farm land or go to one of the clubs, and our season (except for in the clubs) is only 2 weeks.

This year I am going to put more emphasis on the grouse through November and then turn my focus to the waterfowl.

7. Blue Duck

Blue Duck Elite Refuge Member

Its Ducks for me. But thats a pretty easy answer. I close to lots of good waterfowl hunting and our upland hunting is pretty poor close to home. I like it all and just try to take advantage of whats happening at the time....

8. Williefb

Williefb Elite Refuge Member

Based on my experience, ducks are only really good after consuming major quantities of alcohol. :D