Would your dogs remember you?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Cappy_TX, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Cappy_TX

Cappy_TX Elite Refuge Member

How long do you think you could be away before your dogs would forget you? On August 15th of 2014, I came home following a 62 day hospital stay. Wondered if and how much my pups would have missed me or would even remember me for that matter. When I got home, I sat at the breakfast table when Remi our yellow Lab, and Rusty our hunting Labradoodle, were let in the house one at a time ...

Il. MudDuk likes this.
  2. Dog guy

Dog guy Senior Refuge Member

A few years ago I visited Danny Farmer at his place in Minnesota. He had a dog that I sold to one of his clients. I had not seen that dog for two years. He remembered me like it was yesterday. In fact, Danny told me that at the end of the day the dog was pacing back and forth in the airing yard looking for me. Pretty cool.
    Thanks for sharing your videos. Very nice.

3. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

I know Cappy will remember you when you see him again - hope that is a long time from now though.

About 4 years after I picked up a dog after 6 months of training we went hunting with the trainer - no doubt the dog remembered him very well.

4. WK2HNT

WK2HNT Senior Refuge Member

Some dogs seem to have a great memory. I hunted a pit last year that I have not even been within miles of since my dog was a 2 year old and she went straight to it and jumped in the dog box like we had been there last week. Several times she has been around my friend put her through force fetch and started her on hand signals when she was young and she hates his guts to this day. She remembers dogs we have hunted with when she was young and still likes the ones she liked then and hates the ones she hated then. She will be 8 in October

5. Cappy_TX

Cappy_TX Elite Refuge Member

Their memories can be more than amazing. First four years of Cappy's life we were living in Las Vegas. Did a combination of upland bird and waterfowl hunting on a half dozen properties in Southern NV. Cappy positively had certain areas on each committed to memory because, when allowed to run without being given direction, he would invariably go to spots where he had found upland birds previously or had made multiple duck retrieves.

Cappy and our Labradoodle Rusty clearly remember other dogs, even after a few years without seeing them. As WK2HNT said above, the ones my two boys liked a lot in the past, they resumed "happy greetings and cavorting" with almost immediately. Probably combination of sight and scent memories.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  6. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

My last female and current male are the same about going back to productive area. We go back to WI, 1100 miles away to grouse hunt every year or 2. A few years ago we returned after a 3 year absence and returned to some old grouse coverts we had had success in before. No question asked they would race right into areas that had been productive before without any instruction or even a look in that direction.

We had a duck get stuck about 5 feet off the ground in some brush. I handled Tuey to the bird and when he winded it he jumps up and grabbed it. Can't get within 50 yards of that bush without him running over there to see if there is another duck...

7. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

It always stupefies me what dogs do and don't remember.
    Certain things (like people, dogs, and locations) they remember very well, but certain other things (training comes to mind) where they don't remember well at all without a lot of repetitions.