WOW! Did you know this about DU?

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by Waxed Canvas, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Waxed Canvas

Waxed Canvas Banned

According to Marc Pierce on DU TV, we have lost all but 20% of the Mississippi River Bottom alluvial forests but DU is replacing all of it. Wow! Now that is impressive. He said they were mounting major conservation initiatives. That is really something. Isn't it? DU is singlehandly replacing all of the lost alluvial areas. Incredible. The only bad thing is he didn't have his little Howdy Doody cowboy hat on when he said these magnificent words.

2. La. Legend

La. Legend Elite Refuge Member

Geez aint them DU folks a bunch of swell fellers.

Legend

3. B52-man

B52-man Elite Refuge Member

I was waiting for someone to say that.:D

4. ARKANSAS

ARKANSAS Elite Refuge Member

So they claim to be replacing 80% of the lost Mississippi River Bottom alluvial forests? Does this cover the private portions of it too?

You'd think a project that big would make front page of the DU web site, but I never found it. Wait maybe on the news page......nope. Am I blind here? Can someone please find this exciting news on the website..please???

I know Marc wouldn't tell us a fib! :rolleyes:

5. Big Gumbo

Big Gumbo Elite Refuge Member

One would think that DU is going to singlehandedly do that on their own. I WOULD NEVER think that they would take all the credit without much mention of their project partners which on some jobs are numerous and have a greater role, but since they helped, they saved it or created it.

Somewhere, deep down in my mind, I wish that the Atkins Diet would take hold all over the place so rice production would go down and ducks would have to revert back to old methods of food like acorns.

6. Longstory

Longstory Senior Refuge Member

It's not the rice on the shelves in stores that is problem! It's all the grain left in the rest area's that the problem. As for DU taking credit for all this work, well let's say they have their hand in everyones pocket to do this! When the new farm bill was wrote, it set aside a large amount of funds that were to be used in wetlands projects. A large part of these funds were to be used on private lands for CRP & WRP projects. When the private landowner goes in & signs up for a said project, a Funds Administator is put in charge of how the money is spent & who it is spent with. The landowner can retain whoever he wants, but DU has positioned themselfs so they are top on the list. Most people go with the first choice on the list. Now they adminster these funds out. They use their own people most of the time. About the only thing that they don't provide is the dirt work on the project. A said project may allow $4.00 per yard on the dirt work, the man who is hired outside the system may only get .75 cents a yard to move the dirt. That leaves $3.25 a yard to pay the other people such as biologist, engineers, hydonomics people, ect. All on staff DU people from in house. Now the kicker to this is, DU gets a Percentage off the top for being the Fund Administrator. In the end, it's a pretty good payday for DU. And all this was done with you Tax Dollars out of your pocket. You all funded it but they take the credit for it. Yes, they stick some money back into the project, but look where it came from. It came from part of the money made off the last Tax Payer Funded job they ran!!!!!!! Not out of the money they collect from us directly!

When they claim that they spent X number of dollars & they restored X number of acres of wetlands we might need to give credit where credit is due, The American TaxPayer & the local Land owner.

Heck, this is like me taking your money & buying someone else diner with it & me keeping the change. I get the credit for buying lunch & get to put the extra money in my pocket.

Heck of a Deal wouldn't you say!!!!!

7. Waxed Canvas

Waxed Canvas Banned

The real point here is they need to think before saying something that audacious on National TV. I know what they meant but then there's the message it sends to the average Joe which is not entirely true.

8. Thndrstck

Thndrstck Senior Refuge Member

If anyone checked you might find that DU has and is "restoring" through the Restore the Delta program. My question about this is what the **** are potholes in Arkansas doing for the ducks. This program is being pushed really hard in easter Arkansas hence the name Restore the Delta. This program is providing thousands of dollars to landowners for pipes and dirt work. They also provide engineers, and other professionals to assist landowners in restoring their delta lands. Most of the time these projects are for pipes and dirt work. Building levees and reservoirs. They utilize AGFC employees to spearhead these projects so DU keeps more of this money in house by using someone else's employees.

9. Waxed Canvas

Waxed Canvas Banned

I support DU but let's get the full story out.

10. Ark_Hammerdawg

Ark_Hammerdawg Senior Refuge Member

Dang !!!! are you sure that my tax $$$$ helped pay for this??????? I can't beleave this crap !!!!!!! and all this time I actually thought that every dollar that I payed in taxes was wasted... I'm glad to know that some of my money is spent on worth while things like this...If you want something to Beach about go to the Post Office at the first of the month...:eek: :nutz