WRP wish list?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by BT, Dec 22, 2006.

1. BT

BT Senior Refuge Member

I'm in the process of buying some property that I hope to enroll in WRP. In reading some of the past posts and talking to various people about things that are not allowed, it would seem that a lot of things need to be specifically called for in the contract up front. At least that what a NRCS biologist friend of mine tells me. I've definitely thought of building blinds, putting in pits, running electricity, food plots, planting pines and other fast growers for privacy around the perimeter. That's for starters. Those of you that are in WRP, what would you do different if you could do it again? What would you add to my list? Thanks!

2. Beanpole

Beanpole Senior Refuge Member

Be careful of a WRP contract now. It seems that the procedure for enrollment has changed and so has the money. The value of the "writedown" has changed to include both the pre-contract and completed contract value. In past years, the farm that you were enrolling was more valuable than the WRP acres. In this case, you were eligible for a tax deduction or the land writedown. Now with the new apprasial method, it is possible that a WRP tract is more valuable that farm land. You can see this in the trend of the value of land sales recently.

Ie: In White County Arkansas, there have been 2 contracts completed in 2006. There are several on the books that are pending and probably will not get honored since the deadlines for completion are fast approaching. They will have to rebid at a lower rate or be left out.

3. ghak99

ghak99 Elite Refuge Member

What would I do differently:
    I would start with kicking the guy that they set up in charge of our last 80 acre project in the head. Hoping when he landed on the ground some common sense about dirt, compaction, elevation, mud, seeding times, types of plants/seed, and some other general knowledge he should already know sticks in his ear.:mad: Maybe then he could explain to me exactly how to spread 55 lbs of lime over 22 acres, and get water to run up hill to the "drain":l :l :sp .....I better quit, someone here might actually like him and/or figure out who I'm talking about.:rolleyes:

Honestly, if you can't get something in the project like you like, I would go dig your "hunting holes" and bury your blinds before you start the project. Let them build their "wetland" around it.

Be sure to leave a piece out, you never know what you might want to do in the future. Dig a well, Build a small cabin or garage to store decoys in stay in or park in etc. If you do this be sure to leave enough ground to be able to get enough dirt to build the platform to get the cabin/garage/parking area up out of the moist soil/flood plain.

4. eiderlab

eiderlab Senior Refuge Member

NRCS doesn't have a clue what they doing on my project either. There biologist is very new to the dept. and hasn't done many of these. Having a hard time getting funding. The project has changed so many times this past summer that it was to late to start in the fall because it started to rain and flooded the area. It was a blessing because it gave us all winter to work out the kinks. It is going to be a battle the whole way the get the project where it needs to be. It sucks having to deal with so many levels of beauacracy. One person says this, another person says that. Get EVERYTHING in writing and keep all email correspondence with whom you ever work with. Good luck Eiderlab

5. fingerlakes fowler

fingerlakes fowler Refuge Member

Now, I just had a project completed in October and everything went as smooth as silk. I ended up with about 15 acres of water surface area. It took almost two years for all the paperwork, but the wait was worth it. I've had thousands of geese and some ducks visit already. It only gets better from here out.

6. Pintail_Punk

Pintail_Punk Senior Refuge Member

Unfortunately, many of you are at the mercy of the personnel responsible for your area (regardless of their expertise).

I would call your local DU rep. to see if A. they offer a similar program, B. Can serve as a partner in the WRP project in order to make sure you get a GOOD wetland project, or C. atleast have a contact in your local office that they trust and deal with.