Wrp??

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by BT, Jul 2, 2006.

1. BT

BT Senior Refuge Member

Just wondering about the pros and cons of WRP. The pros seem pretty good if you can get in. Was wondering if anybody that's in has any regrets. Here in TN, I believe the M. O. is to fix the impoundments, then put the rest back in bottomland hardwoods, with no more than 5% in food plots. Any body have experience? Thanks

2. Skip OK

Skip OK Elite Refuge Member

Most of the people I know with land i nWRP are not allowed to make ANY food plots, unless it is specifically wrtten in their plan.

Also, most of the folks I know who have WRP are either in 30 year or permanent easements, so changing your mind if soy bean hit $20/bu isn't going to happen very often.

I think we may be seeing some CRP lands up in the PPR not be re-enrolled just because the farmers can make more $$$ if the lands are cropped. That could be a problem long term, if your heirs don;t like that uncle Henry's back 40 can't be logged and plowed up.

3. fingerlakes fowler

fingerlakes fowler Refuge Member

I just finished the process of enrolling 91 acres into a permanent easement. The process took nearly 2 years. I'm just waiting for it to stop raining so it can dry up to get the pond work started. When finished I should have about 13 acres of water suface area at depths of 1-4 foot. Once the paperwork is signed there is no logging, planting,haying or food plots. You have to make sure this is the route you want to go because there is NO changing your mind once the paperwork is signed. I did it so my property would become a housing tract or trailer park 100 years after I'm gone.

4. po' refugee

po' refugee Elite Refuge Member

If you're looking to develop a waterfowl hunting property it is a GREAT deal! The NRCS will work very closely with you during the process (lots of free advice, engineering help, etc.) Depending on the size of your project you may also get your state waterfowl association involved to.

I'm not sure how much they will cost share, but it is a pretty big chunk! You may also lobby for funds from other groups to help out more.

Food plots may be out, but you don't have to put the whole property in WRP, and they will still help you develop the ability to produce alot of high quality natural duck food (smart weed, watergrass) on WRP land.

It gives the average farmer or landowner the ability to have a prime piece of duck ground without breaking the bank. Talk to your local NRCS office. They are good folks and will give you a ton of info. Good luck!!

5. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Elite Refuge Member

Several WRP plots I know of have filled up with willow and cottonwood sprouts and are so thick a duck couldn't get into it even if they could see any water. I do know of a couple of WRPs owned by duck hunters who battle the sprouts annually - I don't know if they are officially allowed to though.

6. Tgrindlay

Tgrindlay Elite Refuge Member

Keep 6" water on those sprouts for a year and they will die. Wood ducks love those willow and cottonwood thickets. I have one that about 1,500 wood ducks congregate every year in the fall.

7. ramsey

ramsey Elite Refuge Member

Food plots, allowable practices, etc: get it all written into the conservation plan up front!

The going market prie paid for wrp easements is seductive; but imho, not neccesarily the best thing for waterfowl. I've seen plenty - too many - great areas converted to roosts via wrp. I've also seen plenty - too many - great wrp projects suffer from mismanagement and no management.

Good luck.