Wsm ??

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by MemStockBroker, Dec 8, 2009.

1. MemStockBroker

MemStockBroker Senior Refuge Member

Any of you boys shooting the different WSM's... Like the .270WSM or the .300WSM ?

Are the short mags fads, or here to stay ??

2. Zach Byron

Zach Byron Senior Refuge Member

They are unnecessary in my opinion. I shoot a .300 win mag, it has extremely close energy and velocity comparisons downrange, and by that I mean within like 10 ft/lbs! The ammo for the WSM's isn't nearly as available as the standard calibers, especially if you are in dire need of a box out in the middle of nowhere!

3. Too Tall Tomtl

Too Tall Tomtl Senior Refuge Member

I've been shooting a 270 WSM for 4 years and love it for for deer and hogs. While it is true most short magnums are comparible to standard magnums I find the 270 WSM is about a 20% improvement over a standard 270 and allows me some added versitility in some hunting conditions. :tu

4. cococreek

cococreek Senior Refuge Member

I shoot a .325 WSM and like it alot
    Killed an elk 444 yards this year shot him twice both shots passed thru
    at that range, of course I didn't hit a major bone either,
    I haven't had a deer to untrack with it yet
    It doesn't kick to bad either
    ammo can be a pain, of course where I live there is not much call for a gun this caliber anyway

My son, nephew and B-I-L all shoot 300 WSM and are well pleased ,ammo much easier to find

5. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

I own the .243 WSSM, .300 WSM, and .325 WSM. Dad owns the .7mm WSM.

The .300 WSM, and .325 WSM are here to stay. WSSM's are fading and with the exception of the .243 WSSM have already stopped being produced. The .270WSM and 7mm WSM are no where near the sellers as their bigger brothers.

Ammo for the .300WSM is as common place as the .300 Win Mag now and it will be around for a long time after I am not.

6. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

Except for the lower recoil, lighter weight of the gun, shorter action, all with equivalent to slightly better ballistics. Plus the fact that the .300WSM ammo is as commonplace now as the .300 Win Mag ammo your post makes sense. :doh:flame

7. wigeonmeister

wigeonmeister Elite Refuge Member

If you reload your own ammo, the WSM's make more sense from an economical standpoint. I shoot a .300 WSM, and I absolutely love it.

Commercial ammo for it is more expensive. That is the only downside I can think of.

Stay away from the Remington SAUM's, though.

8. wigeonmeister

wigeonmeister Elite Refuge Member

Depends upon where you live. Around here, the .270 WSM outsells the .325 hands down. The 7mm WSM lags significantly behind the others.

9. Zach Byron

Yea, significantly lighter...not! The recoil may be a bit lighter, but as far as a .270 the recoil is hardly there to begin with! And about the ammo being as common as the .300 Win Mag? Maybe if you don't hunt with outfitters in CO, try going to the middle of nowhere in SD and having to find a box, maybe then you'll change your mind with your smart *** comments. I believe the original post was about your opinion on the matter, and thats what I posted so.... go make love to WSM, ill stick with my classics.

10. Zach Byron

And btw, shorter action doesn't mean a damn thing if the throw of the bolt goes up 90 degrees! This is pretty common with 80% of production rifles on the market, and the shorter action shouldn't matter, it should only take one shot anyway!