Wtb Corn Planter

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by duckdaddy, Jun 11, 2006.

1. duckdaddy

duckdaddy Refuge Member

I am looking for a corn planter, would like a 4-row with fert. live in N.E. Oklahoma. need one pretty quick! thank you. DUCKDADDY 918-533-DUCK.

2. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

if you need something done quickly, i'd contact a farmer and have him plant the grains for you. i live about 45 minutes away from where you are, today i saw them putting in beans and milo.

if you wait and try and buy a planter, it's going to be too late.

do all the ground prep/fert/lime work first. then the farmer can just run his planter over your ground, which saves you money.

3. duckdaddy

duckdaddy Refuge Member

thank you Paul, I may have to, the only thing is I hate to barrow. Would like to purchase bc will eventually need it anyway. yes they are planting milo and beans. what do you think is a better planter pull type or 3-pt.?

4. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

what do i think is better???

i use a 2 row planter, it was made sometime before 1953. dearborn is the name. it's a 3pt. it would be hard to turn around in my field if it was a pull type planter.

it was only 75 bucks.

5. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

Go find you a JD 7000 4 row pull behind. I bought one last month for $1000. Fertilizer tanks, fert boxes and 1.6 bu seed boxes. Mint condition with hardly no scratches or rust. I paid $450 to have it delivered and it was GREAT buy!!!
    It is set on 38 inch rows and obsolete to farmers but perfect for planting plots, what i want to do. You can find these at Fastline, Equipment Finder, and many other places on the internet.

6. olduckhunter

olduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

duck, another option might be a grain drill with markers. you can stop up the holes to get your spacing if you are going to cultivate and you'd kill two birds with one stone. you can also use it to drill/sow your wheat, oats, sunflowers, peas, whatever. that is if your land isn't too rocky. a grain drill might be cheaper than a planter too. there's several places around here that have planters like you are looking for but that's too far for you to haul it. talk around to local farmers. one of them might have an old planter in a fence row they'd get rid of cheap or know someone that did have one.

old

7. duckdaddy

duckdaddy Refuge Member

hey old, I have a Melroe 244 drill, but it dosen't have a setting for corn? Will it work for corn??? I didn't want to put alot of expensive corn seed on the ground and not grow, If anyone knows for sure that it will work I would use it.

8. olduckhunter

olduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

duck, i never heard of a melroe. one way to tell is get you a bag of corn like you put in deer feeders and put it in the drill and try it. if it doesn't chew it up it'll work. unless you really want to be accurate with rows you wouldn't even have to have markers on it.

old