WV River hunting

Discussion in 'West Virginia Flyway Forum' started by duckhunter443, Sep 30, 2015.

1. duckhunter443

duckhunter443 Refuge Member

Feb 23, 2014
    West Virginia
    Does anyone know the laws for hunting on rivers in WV. If had a hard time finding any info and it seems that DNR does not even publish waterfowl laws in the migratory birds booklet. I know the 500ft law but what about getting out of the boat do you have used of bank up to the high water mark? Thanks for the help
  2. WOODIE13

WOODIE13 Elite Refuge Member

Sep 5, 2002
    Not the best articulated laws in the world, but also you do not need a law degree to figure it out compared to some. A big thing to consider parks, city limits and such. I just try to stay in the boat as much as possible with a boat blind, but still you have a few that are grey. Follow your conscious, wanton waste or trespass. Agree, this needs to be cleared up. Welcome to the site
  3. Ohh2ofowl

Ohh2ofowl Senior Refuge Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Also if you want to hunt on some islands everyone in boat must have an Ohio River Island permit from the Feds. It is free. Just call and they will mail it to you. Been checked several times and I know more about waterfowl laws than Conservation Officers as they are used to dealing with deer and turkey hunters. I have copies of all the laws including the reciprical agreement between Ohio and WV on the boat with me. Makes it easy. PM me if you have specific questions and I will shoot you my cell number.