Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

WY Deer 2017

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by HunterNWyo, Oct 18, 2017.

1. HunterNWyo

HunterNWyo Senior Refuge Member

Been giving the ducks a break to fill some big game tags the past couple weeks. Spent a few days looking for a good mature mule deer. Finally found one. Unfortunately someone else found him first and shot half his right antler off – from the fact it clipped off both right tines, probably took a pot shot as he was running away. Or as a buddy said, someone got da buck fever.

Anyway, had spent three days looking - seen 40+ bucks but nothing I was excited to shoot. Decided to do a hunt up on the mountain where my wife had missed a good buck a week before. Spotted this buck bedded. Couldn’t see his left antler very well with the angle we had, but could tell he was busted off on the right. Pretty much wrote him off, but figured we’d circle around above him since we'd have the wind in our favor. Hiked our way over there, crept up to some rocks, and he was feeding below us at 40 yards. I hemmed and hawed for about 10 minutes as we watched him, and finally decided that with an intact right antler he’d be a no doubter, so pulled the trigger.

Big bodied mature buck. 20” main beams. Probably would have been a conservative 28” wide if his right antler was like the left. He’s 25” wide with what he has. Had my pops and wife along and got this guy on our 5-year wedding anniversary, so that alone made it pretty special.

Cheers,
    Rich
    deer1.jpg deer2.jpg deer3.jpg

stevena198301 and Kimmie like this.
  2. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Nice buck and perfect mulie country.

3. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Refuge Member

4. Kimmie

Kimmie Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Very nice! Congrats!